Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Dv7-6154nr Product: LW472UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • Current factory HDD working, but, on last legs, bad sectors, some boot issues
  • Want to replace with SSD for speed improvement; will do HDD if I have to
  • Saw discussions regarding the AMD processor and SSD compatibility, wondered if SSD will work? 

1.80GHz VISION Ultimate Technology from AMD with AMD Phenom II Quad-Core Mobile Processor P960

• Currently running Windows 10 64 bit; created system recovery USB stick and on separate USB drive did full system backup. Hoping this is all I need to re-install Windows and get new drive installed; either SSD or HDD.
  • Any starting point recommendations for SSD to purchase if in fact it is compatible?
  • Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Will an SSD work with this system?
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, there should be no problem installing an SSD

You could even perform a clean install and have a fresh start.

Once you have performed a clean install you can use a USB to SATA adapter to transfer personal files from the old HDD.

you can create a USB drive with the latest OS directly from Microsoft (before replacing the drive or on a different PC)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Example

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-dv7-6154nr#ssd

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Hello David,

Thank you very much for your help! And thank you for Crucial info, that looks to be the best for my application.

• I agree and want to start "fresh" with Windows 10. I'll make the USB stick as suggested.
  • My one question is what then is the best way to backup the "rest" of the current HDD? Comprehensibly rather than bit by bit.
  • Would like to maintain current directory structure etc. Have several DAW music apps and plugIns all working well together and would rather not reinvent that wheel.
  • Should I make a full copy of "C:" to another external USB SSD? 
  • Then once new SSD installed, new Windows 10 installed; just copy those contents back onto new SSD?
  • Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you again!

Jon

•  
HP Recommended

Hi Jon,

been busy, actually down in Rome for a day (nice place 😀)

If you perform a clean install you would need to reinstall the software and figure out the settings again, unless the software permits saving of certain settings (or maybe pass the folders with the settings into the new installation)

Personally, I perform a clean install and then use a USB to SATA cable to pass over the files to the "new OS"

Example

I like the clean install as I can remove some of the old stuff and just seems to run better.

I do sometimes just clone the drive for people who have complicated and important software installed. You can use the software provided by the SSD manufacturer to clone the SSD and it will be the same as the one you have. You can use the USB to SATA cable.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

This is for Iomare,

Don't know how else to reach you. I saw an earlier resolution you provided titled "M.2 SATA or NVME?" from 2018. I have the same situation, and am being told that the PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 won't work with my HP 14-df0023cl. Does your assessment from 2018 still stand? if so I would appreciate your help as I have spent countless hours trying to install this SSD without any success.

Best,

Al

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.