Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Sisimon Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replace Hard Drive HP Pavilion 15-n096sa

HP Pavilion 15-n096sa Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Out of anger I recently hit my laptop causing it to break the hard drive. I think it was the only component effected. I tried taking the back off to see the dimensions and if I could replace easily or not. Just wondering if I need to replace it (my laptop won't start up) a good replacement HDD to buy, whether or not I should do it myself and if theres any way to take the back panel off.
Thanks
5 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
37037 5587 9629
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's not a back panel. You come in from the top down removing the top cover. 

Your Service Manual

Start on p. 63. You can use any 2.5 inch wide SATA drive whether mechanical or solid state as long as it is 7 mm or 9.5 mm thick. Almost all are, What country do you live in? We can certainly help you locate the drive, but then there are issues surrounding software reinstallation. 

If you are more "visual", we can also help you find a video showing hard drive replacement. This is not a super easy procedure so you need to honestly assess your tech skills and just sayin' maybe an anger management assessment, too. I am sure the laptop did not deserve what it got or maybe it did. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos
Sisimon Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Aha it wasn't the Laptops fault, it was lag. I live in the UK. Also I have little tech skills but I know some friends who have built computers who would be able to help me. I'm also not sure how to upload pictures onto this site.
0 Kudos
Sisimon Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Also is there any chance it's not broken or can be fixed. It started with saying scanning and repairing drive (C:) and completed that. Now it's stuck on 40% scanning and repairing drive (D:). When I did it previously it stayed like that for around 20hrs but started clicking. Any chance of it there being a way to fix it. Thanks
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37037 5587 9629
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No you don't fix a clicking hard drive. It needs replacement.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145881

0 Kudos
ADAMjs Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

I have had the exact same problem with this model and have finally narrowed it down to the hard drive. 

I know you can´t show any preference, but would something like this be a suiteable replacement? http://amzn.to/2mDkONy

Would you also be able to help locate a video showing how to do so?

Thanks very much in advance,

Adam

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation