Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp Elitebook 840 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am posting this in behalf of a pal, he needs help with his existing laptop. The SSD which came with his Hp Elitebook 840 G2 is only at 120GB and he was asking us(his pals) if he could replace that existing SSD 120Gb with an internal NON-SSD type with a 1TB size. As of the moment he cannot afford a 1TB SSD one. Please see quoted text below.

[quote]

...I need help deciding if I can replace existing SSD (120GB) with a non-SSD (1TB) drive in laptop.

Laptop model is Hp Elitebook 840 G2 14" Notebook - Intel Core I5 I5-5300u Dual-Core (2 Core) 2.30 Ghz - 8 Gb Ddr3l Sdram Ram - 128 Gb Ssd - 16:9 Display - Gigabit Ethernet - 4 X Total Usb Ports - 4 X Usb 3.0 Ports - Network (Rj-45) - Headphone/Microphone Combo Port M2f64up#aba

http://www.compsource.com/pn/M2F64U...-195/Elitebook-840-G2-Notebook-Pc-M2f64upaba/

I have never worked with any SSD and hence am completely illiterate on what and how SSD works and connects to Motherboard. As 120GB is too less for me, I want to get a bigger hard disk. However, a 1TB SSD is way too costly for me to even think about buying. Therefore, I thought if I could replace it with a non-SSD drive....

[/quote]

I am not that technical and I own a different brand of laptop (Acer) so I cannot help him on that. But he is a dear friend and I want to seek help for him this Christmas season (can't gift him a 1TB SSD also as I am broke!) So please guys I need some opinions on the matter 🙂

Is it possible to replace that 120GB SSD which came with the laptop with a NON-SSD 1 TB drive?

If yes (possible) can you help with some explanations or additional ideas please..

Are there any issue that need to be checked prior doing the endeavor? 

Merry Christmas and Best regards,

BJMun 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi guys,

My pal is OK and has sent word that his issue has been solved and he has all the info necessary to do the endeavor. Thanks to all for the wonderful help here. You are all aces in my book! Merry Xmas to all!

Best regards,

BJMun

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

OK here is the manual:

Manual

The back cover can be removed fairly easily. See page 58. Then look at page 61. That shows the hard drive bay and how to remove the hard drive. It also shows where the SSD is. The SSD is a long thin circuit board which is sometimes called a "gumstick" and plugs in right above the hard drive. This model actually can have both a hard drive and the SSD. I do not recommend that your friend get rid of the SSD. He needs to just add a hard drive for storage and then learn how to be aware of how you are using Windows to make sure as much as possible installs on the hard drive, leaving the SSD just for Windows. 120 gigs is plenty if you have a little knowledge and discipline and the SSD is just so very much faster than an old school spinner drive. 

The problem is if the laptop did not come from the factory with the hard drive it likely does not have the caddy (bracket) and screws. But we can help you find that part. I might suggest buying a 500 gig hard drive for storage so you can get the caddy, too and keep it in budget. A 120 gig solid state drive plus a 500 gig hard drive should be plenty for almost anybody. 

Post back if you need more help finding the caddy and a hard drive to install. 

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

There are few options for the series

• Storage options up to1 TB Hard Drives, 512 GB Solid State Drives, or 256GB PCIe Solid State Drive
  • M.2 32GB Flash Cache for Intel Smart Response Technology installed in the factory
  • M.2 120GB Solid State Drive & 256GB PCIe Solid State Drive can be configured as primary storage or combined with a SATA drive for dual storage performance

Looks like his machine has M.2 120GB SSD. Machine should have room for you to ADD a normal HDD but you neet to buy the following part:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=730793-001

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello guys!

Thanks for the replies!

So OK to replace existing SSD (120GB) with a non-SSD (1TB) drive or better yet just add another non-SSD drive to the laptop. Correct?

@Huffer,

Thanks for the information there and the manual. I will forward your reply to my pal and be back here to report! I'll ask about that caddy bracket and screws.

@banhein,

Thanks for the reply and information. I am not privy to the laptop as it is my pals but I will relay your information to him and I will be back here to report. Thanks for the parts link!

Be back here guys thanks a lot!

🙂

HP Recommended

Yes DO NOT remove the SSD. Add a hard drive and for that you need a hard drive and a caddy/screw kit. 

HP Recommended

Hello guys,

Thanks again for all the help.

My pal was a bit confused on the endeavor as he can't see any space where he can add a non-SSD drive. Kindly see images attached.

Any ideas so he can use both the SSD 120gb and the additional non-SSD drive he intends to add..?

Here is his reply to my email,

[quote]
Am a bit confused how to use both.
I have a drive bay and inside that bay SSD is inserted currently.
There is no space in the bay to add another drive.
[/quote]

http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9562425fullview.jpg

http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6242157SSDview.jpg

Best regards,

BJMun 🙂

PS,

Is the way I load the images correct? Sorry first time I loaded an image 🙂

HP Recommended

He has an M.2 SSD and then the larger square thing in the corner is either a hard drive or another SSD or a caddy....the thing with 4 screws around it. In one picture he has the gumstick SSD installed and in the other it is removed. The thing in the corner may be just the caddy it is hard to tell, but at a minimum you do not need to buy any other parts besides a hard drive. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer 🙂

Thanks again for the reply and assistance there. That nice to know that there may be no additional things to buy there. My pal did say that he has the gumstick SSD.

You mentioned,

[quote]
The thing in the corner may be just the caddy it is hard to tell, but at a minimum you do not need to buy any other parts besides a hard drive.
[/quote]

Some info he(my pal) relayed earlier:

[quote]

My pal said:

He has an M.2 SSD - not sure
Larger square thing in the corner - yes, I removed it and it's the SSD I believe. I couldn't remove the black cover, as I don't have a suitable screw-driver.
In one picture he has the gumstick SSD installed and in the other it is removed - I didn't remove anything while taking both the pictures. Just took 1 complete pic and another focussed on drives area.

The thing in the corner may be just the caddy - it has a drive like thing inside it and is connected.

[/quote]

May I seek additional help as I am not that much of a technician there...do you have anything that can guide me in that endeavor..maybe a general step-by-step from support or some kind of a guide so I can explain it to my pal more.

Sorry not a techy here 🙂 I hope it's okay 🙂

Thanks again and hope for your understanding 🙂

BJmun

HP Recommended

I provided a link to the Service Manual in my first post and directed you to the pages that show how to remove that square thing. You just need to have him put a hard drive in that case and bolt it in there with 4 hard drive screws. On further review, you may need to get 4 thin-headed laptop hard drive screws but those might cost a dollar or so. 

Like the above screws. 

https://www.amazon.com/notebook-computer-Internal-Mounting-Seagate/dp/B0168H0JSG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

Thanks for the reply 🙂

My pal relied 🙂

[quote]
Ok, I can remove that black square thing and put in a new WD (non-SSD)
[/quote]

I'll wait for his reply.

Thanks again for helping us out Huffer. You the man!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.