12-22-2016 11:32 AM
I would like to upgrade the network card in my laptop and understand some hardware is more comptable than others. Can you please tell me what cards I can put in my computer?
HP Envy TouchSmart m7-j010dx Notebook PC
Windows 10 X64 Pro (came with Windows 8.1 home from factory)
Factory network card:
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230
Network Card model #:
Solved! Go to Solution.
12-22-2016 11:52 AM
Your machine was built before mid 2014 therefore it is very tricky to replace the wireless card. Please only use card from the following list (with part number at the end of each item):
- Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2×2 Wi-Fi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter 724935-001
- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 WLAN module 670290-001
- Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 802.11ac 1×1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter 710662-001
- Intel Wireless-N 7260BN 802.11b/g/n 2×2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter 717384-001
- Mediatek MT7630E 802.11b/g/n 1×1 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter 710418-001
- Qualcomm Atheros AR9565 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter 733476-001
- Qualcomm Atheros AR9485GN 802.11b/g/n 1×1 Wi-Fi Combo Adapter 675794-001
- Ralink RT3290LE 802.11b/g/n 1×1 Wi-Fi Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter 690020-001
- Realtek RTL 8188EE 802.11b/g/n 1×1 Wi-Fi Combo Adapter 709848-001
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
12-22-2016 02:35 PM - edited 12-22-2016 02:42 PM
Your laptop has an i7 4th gen processor so is virtually certain (not 100%) to be past the whitelist issue.
None of the ones from the list in the Manual is capable of operating in the 5ghz band but since you do not have a whitelist you can install this:
HP has never provided an actual list of the laptops that are post-whitelist but I had a model that uses the same processor as yours and confirmed it had no whitelist. The cutoff seems to be more like 1/1/13 than mid-2014.
If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.