Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 17-an0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently replaced the battery on my computer: OMEN by HP Laptop 17-an0xx

However upon bootup I received the error : cmos checksum bad and the replacement battery is not charging 

I performed all the necessary diagnostics via the HP Support assistant and battery passes the test.

I retried with my old battery and got the same error.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Roibeard The error represents the issue with the CMOS battery, not the regular laptop battery, but the one on your motherboard, that said, here's a few things that may help resolve this issue, let's get started:

Solution 1 – Restart the computer

Sometimes abruptly cutting the power to your machine will cause the CMOS checksum error the next time you boot up. Even switching the computer off using the power button without following the normal shutdown procedure can also corrupt the BIOS and cause this error to pop up.

If you suspect this could be the reason the error has OK, simply follow the computer’s instructions and restart the computer after it’s finishing booting.

The CMOS checksum error should not appear again. Just remember to shut down the correct way next time.

Solution 2 - If the issue persists, restore the BIOS defaults:

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.

2. Turn on the computer.

3. When the first screen displays, do one of the following:

• Immediately press the F10 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Computer Setup program opens.

• Immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup menu opens. Then press F10 to open the Computer Setup program.

4. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the File tab.

5. Select Apply Defaults and Exit.

Solution 3 - perform a hard reset:

• Let's perform a power reset as per HP standards:
  • Ensure your laptop is OFF.
  • Unplug all the external devices (If any).
  • Disconnect the power charger from the computer, and remove the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds.
  • Connect the power supply (power adapter).
  • Press the power button to turn on your laptop.
  • Then put your battery back.
  • for more details: Click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.