3 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replacing my 6560b's GPU thermal pad

Probook 6560b
Linux

Hi,

I want to replace the GPU thermal pad for my Probook 6560b laptop and I'm wondering about the specifications for it, size, thickness and minimum thermal conductivity.

Can anyone provide an answer?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Provost Provost
Provost
73336 8906 19164
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your machine may (repeat MAY) have MXM video card and it is soldred to the motherboard. Please use the following manual to find out under heat sink section, page 86

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03052147-1.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37815 5736 9916
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

See p. 86-89 of the Manual here:

Manual

You do not replace just the cooling pad, you purchase and install a new heatsink module. Note that there is a different one for discrete and UMA systems. If you really want effective cooling, the thing to do is peel the spongy thing off the heatsink and use a copper shim of the same thickness in its place and thermal compound. You can hammer out a pre-1964 penny or buy copper sheeting at a hobby store. 

You do NOT have an MXM video card it is soldered to the motherboard. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos
lourdas_v Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After looking at the manual and the spare part numbers for the heatsink replacement, my laptop uses this one: 647604-001, the heatsink with the cooling for the GPU chip (small extension). I will not replace the heatsink. Instead, I will buy a small thermal pad (I'm between a 1mm and 1.5mm thickness) and replace the old one for the gpu. Today, I've also ordered a used i7 2720QM CPU, which I will use to replace my old i5 2520M and put some good thermal paste on it.

So, my question still stands regarding the pad thickness. Should it be 1.5mm or 1mm (or maybe thinner)?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37815 5736 9916
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Those specific specifications do not exist. You have to install a thickness that works is all I can say. Can't you use calipers and measure the old one? You will know it is too thin if the video starts to glitch out because the pad is not making adequate contact and it is overheating. For $6 or $7 I might just buy a new heatsink, which will have the correct thickness of pad. But you have already rejected that advice and know better. 

0 Kudos
lourdas_v Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Where do you find a heatsink for 6 ot 7$? Maybe in the US, but not in Europe. I can find such a part in ebay, but adding the shipping cost, it will add up to at least 15-20$ or maybe more and I'm not talking about new ones. And from my point of view, since the heatsink is a passive component and mine seems just fine, I don't see the point of buying a new one.

In any case, thank you both for your advice and help, much appreciated!

Intern
Intern
23 0 4
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was advised that it was OK to reuse the original pads. I did so, and my machine has passed the Intel Diagnostics burn-in test just fine.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37815 5736 9916
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't think you asked if it was OK to reuse the original pads. Of course it is. I was wondering why you were concerned about replacing the pads I thought maybe you had torn yours somehow or thought it was inadequate. Glad it all worked out. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation