6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Review of HP Support

envy 13-ab009na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP makes you suicidal!

Just over a week ago, I bought a new HP Envy 13 for £1200 only for the ram to fail on Friday. I have always bought HP, from Printers to computers. My old HP computer was £400 and Is 3 years old with never a fault. I called HP this morning to ask for a replacement which they agreed.

Then I had a big problem, I planned on giving the old laptop to my father so he could have a bigger screen instead of squinting when using his phone. Since I received the new laptop I transferred all my documents and pictures from my old laptop and then refreshed the PC so It was like new.

I told HP this and requested that they recover the files for me but in short I was told "No, It's not in our boundaries. But you can remove the hard drive yourself and recover the data". This shocked me, how can a company sell you a defective product then accept no responsibility for the damage caused by it. I was planning on backing up the data but soon after I transferred the data, the computer started malfunctioning.

I burst into tears on the phone, knowing I would never see the pictures of my late grandmother again, the pictures of mine and my girlfriends happy memories, my younger siblings who are in foster care and am unable to see for the last couple of years. The agent replied "don't worry, all your data will be deleted and the OS reinstalled when you send back the PC so that no one else can see it", to which I thought how heartless could she be, I replied "I don't care If anyone else sees them, I want them, I want my memories"
until I started howling with tears and didn't stop until 30 minutes after the phone call, as a person with Major Depression, this is quite easy.

It saddens me to write this review, I've always trusted HP products to be reliable and when something goes wrong, I hoped they would make it right.

Where has human empathy gone? I called HP as a human with empathy and expected there to be one on the other end of the phone, all I got was a robot reading words from a script and "There's nothing we can do, it's out of our boundaries"

The truth is, there's everything you could do, if only you cared, it's your computer.
11 REPLIES 11
Provost Provost
Provost
39061 38876 6000 10456
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Review of HP Support

HP is not going to recover the data for you. No other laptop maker in the world would do that, either. Would you like to be instructed step by step in how to remove the hard drive and back up the data on it? Are you getting a replacement identical laptop from HP? We could help you just swap the hard drives, as well. We can likely figure some other options to get your data off the old drive. Help us help you and let us know how we can help. 

0 Kudos
Curtis_Cleary Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Review of HP Support

It's a sealed Laptop, they told me if I removed the cover from the laptop I woid void the warranty. They said the only option would be to turn on the computer to back up the harddrive, unfortunatley with the RAM malfunctioning that's not possible.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
39061 38876 6000 10456
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Review of HP Support

If you are returning it anyway, what difference does the warranty make? I thought the data is on the computer you will be returning to HP or am I missing something? And then they are sending you another one, right?

0 Kudos
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Review of HP Support

Yes I'm returning it, but If the laptop is returned and the warranty has been voided then they won't send out a new one will they? The new computer will be identical to the one that's broken

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
39061 38876 6000 10456
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Review of HP Support

Yes they will. They know you are returning one that is no good or else they would not have agreed to replace it. They invited you to remove the hard drive and copy data off it. 

0 Kudos
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Review of HP Support

I've just called HP again and said If I remove the harddrive and back up the data then the warranty will be voided and they may not send out a replacement. 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
39061 38876 6000 10456
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Review of HP Support

I am sure anything I say you can just say you called and they said something different. Good luck to you. 

0 Kudos
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Review of HP Support

I just want clarification and to recover my data. You never invited me to remove the harddrive, you said they did. I just want to be sure that If I remove the hardrive that I won't be stuck with a dead machine.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
39061 38876 6000 10456
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Review of HP Support

No. What you want is to be the victim. I offered help and at no point have you expressed any interest. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation