Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Aislynn Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SATA Replacement for HP 255 G2 Notebook

HP 255 G2 Notebook PC PN:F7V52
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi. My daughters HP 255 G2 notebook has already had the hard drive replaced once, just over a year ago. The 1st hard drive lasted about 1.5 years and this one is now starting to return erros with S.M.A.R.T. She currently has installed HGST HGS545050A7E680. The original hard drive was replaced through HP since it was still under warrenty at the time. Now that it's out of warrenty, and the drive is beginning to return errors, I need to look for a good replacement. I would really rather NOT replace it with the same one, as it seems to fail rather quickly. But I'm not sure what to replace it with.

My daughter mentioned that she'd like to move up from 500 GB to 1 TB, but other than that I'm at a loss. I'm used to desktops, not notebooks.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? What do we need, and what would be a solid drive that you would recommend? How fast? Etc? Also, yes, SSD's are nice, but a bit pricey for a 16 yo who seems to blow through drives rather fast.

Of course, if an SSD is really what would be best, I'll bite the bullet and get an SSD, but would rather go with a SATA.

Thank you in advance for all your assistance and advice.

Ais

3 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
37037 5587 9629
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually an SSD may be the solution. I have seen a lot of younger users can be hard on a hard drive by picking it up and putting it down while running, less than perfect on/off routine etc. An SSD is much less prone to issues with that kind of user because it has no moving parts. However, a 1 TB SSD is crazy expensive. 

This is actually a deal at $240:

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-OCZ-Trion-Internal-TRN150-25SA3-960G/dp/B01B4NUKDS/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_4?i...

If you want to go mechanical drive I have been partial to Seagate, but having trouble keeping track of who really owns these hard drive makers now:

This is an excellent, thrifty but fast hard drive 1 TB:

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000LM048/dp/B01LYNQXCP/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_...

See p. 81 of the Manual here:

Manual

The access panel on the bottom does not lead to the hard drive; more extensive disassembly is needed. Post back if you need any more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos
Aislynn Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Awesome. Thank you so much! I'm looking at SSHD. My daughter isn't allowed to take the PC anywhere, it sits on her table, so I'm not too concerned with movement. Now the on/off, she's good with that unless the drive starts screwing up and I can't fault her for a crudy drive lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1NHCZT/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hd02d5-20&camp=1...

I'm prefer Seagate drives as well. I just wish it was 7200 rpm's, but I guess you can't have it all. I think the price is good, it's 1 TB and is a compromise between SSD and the price of SATA. On the up-side, it has a 5 year warrenty,

I know I'll probably need a spacer, correct?

Thank you again! And I will probably post for help once we get the drive. As I said, I'm used to desttops.

Ais

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
37037 5587 9629
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spacer is optional. A 7mm drive bolts into a caddy made for a 9.5 mm just fine. If you look at the link I gave you at the bottom of the page there is a link to a WD Black 7200 rpm. On these newer hard drives the huge 128 mb cache makes up for a 5400 rpm spin speed and they are just as fast as a 7200 rpm with a 16 or 32 meg cache but use less power. All about being green these days. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation