Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 2 (230 Views)

SATA disk failed and Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed

Product Name: HP Envy 15t J1000
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So this really irritates me because I just spent hundreds of dollars sending my laptop to HP last year because the hard drive completely failed.

I have a 1TB hybrid hard drive and 22Gb solid state used for caching.  

When I booted up my computer Intel Rapid Storage Technology said there was an issue.  When I opened it, it says that the status of: SATA disk (932 GB)(System) Accelerated, is Failed.  

My SATA_Array_0001 22GB is fine though. 

So I ran a System Quick Test,

everything passed except Hard Drive Short DST Check: FAILED

FAILURE ID: Q4MP7Q-6RA82U-MFGJWK-60W303

This is weird because other than the computer telling me there is something wrong every time I restart it, It seems to run just fine.  Im just worried because I don't want it to randomly die on me one day.

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 2 (199 Views)

Re: SATA disk failed and Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed

Hi there @nmulji

Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I read your post on the HP Support Forums and understand that the Hard Drive in your HP ENVY TouchSmart 15t-j100 Select Edition CTO Notebook PC failed the Short DST Check. 

SMART (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology System) uses a technology known as predictive failure analysis to tell you when a hard drive failure is imminent.

Have you tried to Restore the BIOS? If not, please try this step first. Then, just to be on the safe side, back up your data that way it does not get lost. However, there might be certain conditions that cause a hard drive failure message to display when a problem does not exist (a false positive). To fix false positive hard drive errors, please try updating the hard drive firmware.

You can check whether an update is available by going to the  Get software and drivers page. You will need to put in your Model Number and then click the links that pertain to the computer configuration and see if a hard drive update is available. 

You could also try to do a  Disk Defragment to consolidate files and move them to another section of the drive where errors are less likely to occur.

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.Smiley Happy

Thanks!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation