Tutor
8 6 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SD card reader freezing computer

HP ENVY 15t-k000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, this week I began having some issues with my laptop. Most times I put a SD card on the reader, the laptop freezes completely and needs to be restarted.

I've been also experiencing glitches on the screen, I'm not sure this is related to the problem mentioned before. This is the way they look:

IMG_20170321_211051.jpg

Any suggestions will be welcomed. Cheers!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
13,623 12,733 826 1,435
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@urielmromano

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 15t-k000 laptop. I read that the laptop freezes when you insert an SD card in it and you have to restart the laptop. Thank you for sharing the picture of the screen with the display issue. Not to worry though as I have a few suggestions.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Does the issue happen while using multiple SD cards?
  • Does the laptop overheat when the display does bad?
  • Did any hardware changes take place on the laptop?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate the Video test - This test includes 3 tests of the video hardware on your computer. Select one of the following tests, then click Run Once.

Video Memory Fast Check - 3 minute video memory test

Video Memory Check - 20 minute memory test

Palette Check - 1 minute test of the three video color components. Follow the on-screen instructions during the test.

• Later, please run a test on the Processor and the Memory too. 

If all the tests pass then I suggest you to refresh (repair) the Windows 10 operating system. The steps to refresh Win10 can be found in this link. NOTE: This link provides steps for Win8 and will work for Win10 too. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know the results. Good luck! 🙂

0 Kudos
urielmromano Tutor
Tutor
8 6 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for taking the time to address my concern. The issue happens when using a single SD card on the reader; I couldn't find any overheating when crashing; no hardware changes were made. Video card tests turned OK, I'll proceed to try and repair Windows 10. Any further recommendations will be welcomed. Cheers.
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19,710 19,355 1,621 2,688
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@urielmromano

It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

Thank you for the replying,

For now, I can only suggest you take your time and get back to me with the results of repairing the windows 10,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

To let you know, if the issue persists, you may want to reinstall the OS using the HP recovery manager.

Keep me posted for further assistance,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation