Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Curtisun Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SDHC card reader will come up seeing the card but saying no media present.

16-aM31dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When sdhc 16 gb card is inserted in this new laptop model 16- aM31dx sd card reader comes up seeing the card but saying no media present. Card will read on other computers.

4 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14573 1017 1512
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @Curtisun, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand SD card is not getting detected on your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with a different memory card?

It looks the model name you provided seems to be incorrect, can you please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Go into device manager and uninstall the card reader, it should be listed as IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
Right click and click uninstall. 
Reinstall the drivers using HP support assistant to the latest version and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to use HP support assistant.

Let me know if this works!

Have a pleasant day ahead! :)

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Curtisun Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There was no hardware changes and only software changes was the upgrades that is automatically made.  The card reader is not listed under IDE/ATAPI. Only place found it listed is under sd card reader which had sd card reader driver in it. So i first uninstalled the drive and re installed it done same thing.
There is something else i discovered about this HP laptop the flash drive in a usb port is doing the same thing when you plug a flash drive in it comes back with opening a drive number and says insert media into drive that it just opened . So I decide to put the laptop back just like it came from factory when it was working and it is still doing same thing. So i ran the hard ware test on the usb ports and when mouse usb is tested everything is good but when a flash drive is tested it fails. I know flash drive works because i tested in in two different computers. I also tested the sd card in multible computers and it worked correctly. So because the OS(windows 10) was completely reinstalled I beleive this is a hardware failure causing not only the sd not to work but also the flash drive.

TY for trying to help I think it is time for laptop to go back to hp for repair since it is under warrenty.

0 Kudos
Curtisun Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MrRobot wrote:

Hi! @Curtisun, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand SD card is not getting detected on your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with a different memory card?

It looks the model name you provided seems to be incorrect, can you please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Go into device manager and uninstall the card reader, it should be listed as IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
Right click and click uninstall. 
Reinstall the drivers using HP support assistant to the latest version and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to use HP support assistant.

Let me know if this works!

Have a pleasant day ahead! :)

There was no hardware changes and only software changes was the upgrades that is automatically made.  The card reader is not listed under IDE/ATAPI. Only place found it listed is under sd card reader which had sd card reader driver in it. So i first uninstalled the drive and re installed it done same thing.
There is something else i discovered about this HP laptop the flash drive in a usb port is doing the same thing when you plug a flash drive in it comes back with opening a drive number and says insert media into drive that it just opened . So I decide to put the laptop back just like it came from factory when it was working and it is still doing same thing. So i ran the hard ware test on the usb ports and when mouse usb is tested everything is good but when a flash drive is tested it fails. I know flash drive works because i tested in in two different computers. I also tested the sd card in multible computers and it worked correctly. So because the OS(windows 10) was completely reinstalled I beleive this is a hardware failure causing not only the sd not to work but also the flash drive.

TY for trying to help I think it is time for laptop to go back to hp for repair since it is under warrenty.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14573 1017 1512
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Curtisun, Thanks for your response and time.

Appreciate your efforts in trying out the steps.

I had asked you for the product number of your PC in my previous thread, Please provide the product number to assist you better.

You can try the steps recommended below.

From WinX Menu open Disk Management. Here you will see your RD Card Reader. From Action > All Tasks > Select Change Drive letter and Path. If no drive letter is assigned, Add a drive letter and path. Now see if this has helped.

Have a wonderful day ahead! :)

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation