Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hi there,

below is the error message I received - with hard disk test -- What does this mean?

Testing Drive: 1
SMART Check: FAILED

FAILURE ID: 9C06TT-5B762N-9XL02K-60BV03

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 43 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive.

If you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set using the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00810334

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended
the laptop model G72-B66US
HP Recommended

Hi,

The Smart error would indicate that your Hard Drive is failing and will need to be replaced - the first thing you should do is to make a back-up of all your personal files etc as soon as you can.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I own dv4t -1300 entertainment laptop, I am receiving a erro message (301), which is requesting to take hard disk test., when I perform the hard disk test, its get hanged at 96%.

I even left the as it is at 96% for overnight, but nothing happened it was at only 96%

Could please help to resolve this.

HP Recommended

<<If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.>>

my waranty expired december 2011 so please guide me how to replace it.

what Hard drive suits my laptop? I never opened it I only know it has a 500 gb one on it.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 43 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive.

If you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set using the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00810334

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

My HP laptop has a smart disk (hard disk) failure and it won't start, I am also out of warranty. Do I need to buy a new hard drive, or a specific one? are there any you recommend.

Your reply is greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

HI,

I have a hp probook 4730s. The HD seems to be dying, although the laptop is only 13 months old. With that said, also the waranty has expired.

Can somebody give me some direction on the following:

- Replacement HDD ( the original seems to be a 640GB 5200, can i replace with a 750 GB 7200 or SSD)

- The system came with a restore disk utility on the drive itself: please direct me to the procedure on how to partition the new HDD and copy both restore disk and utilities software to the new partitions.

Thank you in advance for an answer!

HP Recommended

@Cony28 wrote:

HI,

I have a hp probook 4730s. The HD seems to be dying, although the laptop is only 13 months old. With that said, also the waranty has expired.

Can somebody give me some direction on the following:

- Replacement HDD ( the original seems to be a 640GB 5200, can i replace with a 750 GB 7200 or SSD)

- The system came with a restore disk utility on the drive itself: please direct me to the procedure on how to partition the new HDD and copy both restore disk and utilities software to the new partitions.

Thank you in advance for an answer!

You should not have any issues upgrading to a larger drive or even to an SSD as long as you make sure you purchase a hard drive which matches the requirements in the service guide for the notebook.  Also, the guide contains the information on how to disassemble the notebook to replace the hard drive.  I hope this helps!

Here are the specifications for compatiable hard drives for your notebook:

harddrivespecs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended
I have the same failure id but only indicates proccessing failure on fan test by the HP diagnostics software. My unit is an HP Compaq 6005 pro sff amd athlon II B28. I have trouble on freezing OS. But works only on safe mode.
Tried:
Changing Ram and tested on other units - good
Changed Power supply - good
Swapped processors to test - good
Changed sata cables - good
Swapped HDdrives - good
Disabled cdrom drives - good
Cleaned heat sink and fan - good
Changed Processor fans - good
Tried installing separate PCIE GPU card - good
Updated bios firmware to latest - gooD
Installed Windows XP, Win7, Win8.1 success but after each reboot STILL SAME PROBLEM.
FREEZES AFTER OS LOAD SCREEN OR STUCK ON STARTUP LOGO BUT WORKS ONLY AT SAFE MODE
Does it means the motherboard is defective? Any idea for a solution. Philippines has very expensive service centers but i can fix it myself on hardware leve only that i am not trained for HP boards and i dont have service schematics of such.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.