Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi to everybody,
I found that there's an unused slot under the touchpad. My notebook is this one:
HP Pavillion DV6-2140EL
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=it&lc=it&dlc=it&product=4123884
I'm searching on forums about adding mSATA on this notebook, but without helps. My idea was to add this one:
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ssd/ct120m500ssd3
Can anyone help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry your laptop predates mSATA mSSD compatibility. The slot you found looks like a mini-PCIe slot and physically, it is. You could plug in an mSSD hard drive and it would fit. But nothing would happen because the slot is for a Wide Area Network (cellular modem) card only and that is the only device that will work if plugged into that slot. 

You could install a 2.5 inch regular old SSD in the hard drive bay for the best performance that model will provide.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Sorry your laptop predates mSATA mSSD compatibility. The slot you found looks like a mini-PCIe slot and physically, it is. You could plug in an mSSD hard drive and it would fit. But nothing would happen because the slot is for a Wide Area Network (cellular modem) card only and that is the only device that will work if plugged into that slot. 

You could install a 2.5 inch regular old SSD in the hard drive bay for the best performance that model will provide.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer. I've found another solution: remove the optical drive, then install the SSD with a drive caddy.
It should works like this:
http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=31
Is it possible? 

HP Recommended

Sure possible but it is a waste to put an SSD in there because the interface is slower. Put the SSD inside the laptop and a big slow spinner drive in the optical bay. That way you get best performance and max storage. 

HP Recommended

THanks, that's a good solution 😄 I'm gonna do it for sure!

HP Recommended
  • ¡Hola! Tres años más tarde :OpenSmile:

• ¿Esto sucede con todo el dv6? Tengo el dv6-2175ss, ¿Puedo utilizar el surco hay cerca de la RAM para localizar un disco msata?
  • Gracias
HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Forum. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To insure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English. The following links are here to assist you if you prefer to post in the following Language Forum.

German: HP Kundenforum
Spanish: Foro de usuarios de HP
French: Forum des utilisateurs
Portuguese: Fórum dos usuários HP
Chinese: 惠普个人客户支持论坛
Korean: HP 지식커뮤니티

Thank you for your understanding

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
HP Recommended

Sorry!  Chrome translator....

This happens with all of dv6? I have the dv6-2175ss, Can I use the groove there is nearby to the ram to locate a disk msata?

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.