Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - 15-ae107nl (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a  HP ENVY Notebook - 15-ae107nl (ENERGY STAR)  which has a 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA. I want to upgrade to a SSD. Is my laptop compatible?
Can i keep both ssd and hdd?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Manual says this:

Support for M.2 SATA storage (Port 0) (models with i7 processors and 4 GB discrete graphics memory only)

Since your model has an i7 and 4 gig graphics you have an M.2 port which you can use to install an M.2 SSD (Sata type only) IN ADDITION TO the hard drive. 

Service manual

See p. 35 forward for removal of back cover and find this inside:

M.2 = red circle HDD = green rectangleM.2 = red circle HDD = green rectangle

You need an M.2 like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-860-SATA-Internal-MZ-N6E1T0BW/dp/B07822Z77M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=15...

500 gig for just over $100 is a great deal. 

Post back if you want to discuss software installation on the M.2 but please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The Manual says this:

Support for M.2 SATA storage (Port 0) (models with i7 processors and 4 GB discrete graphics memory only)

Since your model has an i7 and 4 gig graphics you have an M.2 port which you can use to install an M.2 SSD (Sata type only) IN ADDITION TO the hard drive. 

Service manual

See p. 35 forward for removal of back cover and find this inside:

M.2 = red circle HDD = green rectangleM.2 = red circle HDD = green rectangle

You need an M.2 like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-860-SATA-Internal-MZ-N6E1T0BW/dp/B07822Z77M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=15...

500 gig for just over $100 is a great deal. 

Post back if you want to discuss software installation on the M.2 but please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the clarify!

In order to insert a ssd like this one i have to remove the hdd ?

https://www.samsung.com/uk/memory-storage/850-evo-sata-3-2-5-inch-ssd/MZ-75E250BEU/

Or its not possible?

HP Recommended

And also, is there any difference in performance between the two ssd ?

Thank you

HP Recommended

Both good questions. A 2.5 inch SSD is in a package the same size and shape as a hard drive. So if you want to install such a disk it has to be in place of the hard drive. A SATA M.2 disk is in a smaller "gumstick" sized package but the devices perform just about the same, and cost about the same. So for you it is simply a question of whether you want to add an SSD in addition to the hard drive or replace the hard drive with an SSD. 

HP Recommended

Sorry for the late response.
You have been very helpful, but i have one last question: does the storage size matter? 
Because in the manual it only lists 256 and 128 ssd's. Is there a problem if i install a 500gb ssd?

HP Recommended

No problem. The manual is just a list of the ways HP offered to sell the laptop and does not define the hardware that can be used. The size (capacity) of an SSD is not limited by the hardware. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.