Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15-j101np Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

I tried to connect an M2 and an SSD to my laptop by installing the operating system on the M2 and I couldn't get it to boot. Later, and after many tests, the computer does not detect any disk that I connect to the Sata cable where I connected my SSD. What can I do to make it detect the disks connected with the sata cable again? Even if I leave only the SSD connected to the sata, it doesn't detect them anymore.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Not really sure what you are doing. That 2013 laptop does not have an M.2 port it uses a small like 32 gig mSATA SSD which has very significant use limitations...should not however keep you from attaching a SATA drive either HDD or SSD to the regular drive connector cable. Perhaps you have damaged that cable? 

HP Recommended

Thanks, I'll check the cable.
Is it possible to connect both hard drives, the mSATA SSD and the SATA SSD and boot with the mSATA, and with the SATA?

Now I am booting with the 512 gb mSATA without any problem, but it does not detect the SATA. I will check the cable following your instructions.

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Yes you have stumbled upon the issue. That mSATA port is only for "acceleration" of the hard drive using Intel Rapid Storage. It can only be the boot drive if there is no SATA drive installed. And it works the other way. If a SATA drive is installed then you cannot boot from the mSATA but you can use it to accelerate a SATA hard drive (not an SSD). You can put the OS on a SATA 2.5 (even an SSD) and also use the mSATA as storage and just not activate the acceleration in the IRST application. Hope this makes sense. A SATA 2.5 inch SSD is actually going to be a bit faster than an mSATA. I used to own the 17 inch version of that series and experimented quite a bit with what you can do with the drives and it was a hot topic on the Forum in the day. 

If this is the info you needed please accept as solution. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.