Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

So now that I've *finally* managed to update the BIOS of my 6715b to the most up to date Rev F.20 version, the caddy (with a HDD installed in it) that I bought is still not recognised, in XP, Vista or Win 7.

I have to therefore conclude that either the QC at the factory was inadequate, or that it was damaged in transit, or that simply the design of the product is imperfect.

The supplier is sending me a replacement, so I'll get back to you when it arrives...

HP Recommended

Well, the replacement did arrive.........and it was just the same - not recognised in BIOS, any version of Windows or Disk Management.

I therefore concluded that the design and/or quality control is deficient/insufficient. it may or may not work on other laptop brands and models which have the same type of internal connector however. They obviously sell a lot of them, so for most buyers it must work without any issues.

The eBay seller gladly refunded me and apologised for my wasted time.

I can see many other caddies on eBay and Amazon, but am reluctant to buy another one until I know FOR SURE which one will work with my 6715b.

I did find a (temporary) workaround: I installed a new version of Windows on my new SSD and installed that inside the dedicated hard drive bay of my HP6715b. As the caddy wasn't working, I just pushed my old 2.5" HDD 1GB into the empty DVD-ROM bay, and connected it with a short SATA-to-USB cable, and put shortcuts on my desktop to all my old folders and files.

So yes, a workaround that (sort of) works, but not very elegant or aesthetically pleasing.

If any of you out there successfully install a caddy into your 67xx series laptop, please inform me where you purchased it from. Thx. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.