jhuuskonen Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
1,596
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

SSD-drive upgrade possible for my Pavilion dv7?

HP Pavilion dv7 / LM00EA#UUW
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

 

I'd like to upgrade my laptops hardrive to SSD-drive. It said on my laptops service guide that only the intel based model supports on ssd drive. However my Pavilion has AMD Turion. Could anybody confirm weather I can upgrade HDD-->SSD?

Also, if the upgrade is possible, can I install the current HDD drive in the second hard drive slot? If so, are there any extra cabels/adapters needed. 

I tried to find this info on HP's partsurfer, but no luck.

 

Any help highly appreciated... :)

 

Notebook info:

 

HP Pavilion dv7 / LM00EA#UUW

 

 

Regards,

 

Jarno

6 REPLIES 6
Provost Provost
Provost
73978 73868 8994 19352
Message 2 of 7
1,586
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

SSD-drive upgrade possible for my Pavilion dv7?

Hi,

 

What is your machine actually ? I can't find LM00EA (zero, zero), LM0OEA (zero, oh), LMO0EA (oh, zero) and LMOOEA (oh, oh).

 

Regards.

BH
***
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Reply
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
122 122 9 22
Message 3 of 7
1,577
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

SSD-drive upgrade possible for my Pavilion dv7?

Hi there :) Welcome to the community! 

 

You should be able to use a regular SATA SSD on your system. Mind that if you connect the HDD to the second slot you should first install a fresh copy of the OS on the SSD (if you are going to use it as a boot drive which I would recommend) and then add the HDD as the installer might put a system partition on the HDD instead of the SSD. Also, you would need to configure your boot priorities in the BIOS. 

Do reply to banhien's questions so we can provide you more details. :) 

 

Captain_WD. 

Reply
0 Kudos
jhuuskonen Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 7
1,566
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

SSD-drive upgrade possible for my Pavilion dv7?


@banhien wrote:

Hi,

 

What is your machine actually ? I can't find LM00EA (zero, zero), LM0OEA (zero, oh), LMO0EA (oh, zero) and LMOOEA (oh, oh).

 

Regards.



Thanks for your reply :D!

 

And about the product number. It's actually LM003EA#UUW (zero,zero). Sorry about that, my bad.

Reply
0 Kudos
jhuuskonen Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
1,563
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

SSD-drive upgrade possible for my Pavilion dv7?


@Captain_WD wrote:

Hi there :) Welcome to the community! 

 

You should be able to use a regular SATA SSD on your system. Mind that if you connect the HDD to the second slot you should first install a fresh copy of the OS on the SSD (if you are going to use it as a boot drive which I would recommend) and then add the HDD as the installer might put a system partition on the HDD instead of the SSD. Also, you would need to configure your boot priorities in the BIOS. 

Do reply to banhien's questions so we can provide you more details. :) 

 

Captain_WD. 


Thanks for your reply!

 

Nice info there. I'll still wait for banhien's reply, if he finds out something else.

 

After that some shopping to do. Any suggestions which SDD brand would be good for price vs. quality? I think that I'll also be looking to double my Pavilion's memory from 4gb-->8gb.

Reply
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
73978 73868 8994 19352
Message 6 of 7
1,551
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

SSD-drive upgrade possible for my Pavilion dv7?


@jhuuskonen wrote:
And about the product number. It's actually LM003EA#UUW (zero,zero). Sorry about that, my bad.

Hi,

 

Much better now. The following link shows specs of your machine:

 

     http://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c02776731

 

It is an HP Pavilion dv7-6010eo. Currently it has 500 GB SATA (7200 rpm), you can upgrade to SSD. You can also put a second HDD to your machine but you need caddy and connector. Please check the following link:

 

           http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=379

 

Regards.

 

 

BH
***
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Reply
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
122 122 9 22
Message 7 of 7
1,542
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

SSD-drive upgrade possible for my Pavilion dv7?

The SSD choice depends on what you will be doing with your laptop. In most cases you won't notice the performance difference between different brands unless you are doing something storage-related and storage-demanding. SSDs can sustain quite a lot of writing before going into read-only mode so you should be safe against that too. 

 

Let me know if you need suggestions or if you have any specific questions.

 

Captain_WD. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation