Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 6160se
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello.

I want to install an SSD on my Pavilion DV6 6160se. I've mounted the ssd and everything looks ok. But as I put the windows installation boot cd or bootable flash drive, after a few seconds and a long loading, nothing happens and the system freezes. What should I do? I tried both mbr and gpt but nothing happens. Should I update the bios? It's the latest version now, F.1B.

Please help me. I want to get rid of hdd. I need ssd.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Ashkahn 

I was not aware that Windows 7 came on a CD; only on a DVD. So if it is actually a CD, that is probably a Repair CD and that can not be used to install Windows.

Your model laptop probably does not support UEFI, so the mode is probably set to BIOS/MBR -- and that should work just fine with Windows 7 install USB, unless you went to the trouble to create boot media that requires UEFI.

Booting from DVD should work without issue, it's just going to take a LONG time to get to the installation screen where you select the drive to do the installation -- possibly a few minutes -- and the screen is likely to be black the entire time.

Since the system is freezing, that implies a hardware issue, so next time you boot, press the Esc key repeatedly until the HP Startup Menu appears and then select the option to run diagnostics -- usually F2.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.