3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

SSD speed issue - Even after SSD upgrade

HP Recommended
HP Omen 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there

I have an issue with my Omen 15 Gaming Notebook (Product 2R2A3EA)

The default SSD was limited to a write and read speed of 1700MB/s with different SSD benchmark tools.

I added an additional SSD (Samsung 980 Pro 1TB with PCIe4 Interface) but the results I get are still the same and way too low. I got the same results with a 1TB Samsung PM9A1 SSD. (Clips at approx. 1750MB/s)

I was expecting speeds of >3000MB/s since the mainboard should support PCIe3x4.

The current BIOS firmware is F.07

Any tips are welcome! Thx 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,953 42,193 4,643 12,405
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, your AMD Ryzen™ 7 4800H has PCIe 3.0 in its AMD SoC chipset.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-4800h

Installing an SSD that is PCIe 4.0 compliant still will not change the actual read/write speed of the SSD.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
SR121
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Erico

Thank you for your answer!

I am aware of this fact and I my expectation is to reach good PCIe3x4 performance.

PCIe4 SSDs are backward compatible and should work with usual PCIe3x4 performance in this setup.

Thus I would expect transfer rates of approx >3000MB/s.

My BIOS got an update to F.12 but no news regarding SSD transfer speeds. Still max at 1750MB/s...

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,953 42,193 4,643 12,405
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you are aware of that, then you must be aware that a PCIe 4.0 device will work in a PCIe3 specification device  at PCIe 3.0 bandwidth, not at PCIe 4.0 bandwidth.

With that said you must realize that you cannot change what is set by the chipset and BIOS firmware of your notebook just because you have not so realistic expectations. "Should work with usual PCIe3x4 performance in this setup", as you stated is unfortunately not realistic.

The very same thing applies to memory modules. If one installs a memory module that is compatible with the exception of its clock speed, the module will downclock to the speed of the  the actually accepted clock speed that the chipset and firmware will allow.

I am not an HP Employee.
0 Kudos
SR121
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I only expect it to work with PCIe3x4 performance (standard notation for PCIe3.0 with 4 lanes = PCI3x4) as stated in its datasheet.
With PCIe3.0 and 4 lanes the maximum data rate in theory is approx. at 4GB/s (~4000MB/S)

It would be absolutely fine for me if I would reach only 3200-3500MB/s but what I measure is half of that!
Friends with similar HP products reach easily speeds of 3700-3800MB/s with the same SSD, so I assume there is a configuration / driver issue.

The notebook correctly detects the capability of the SSD (PCIe4.0x4) and the current configuration (PCIe3.0x4) but nevertheless performs much worse...

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation