Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 (15-bp152nr)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please, I would like to know if Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe 1.3 M.2 (2280) SSD - 1TB will be ok as an upgrade/ replacement of the SanDisk SD8SN8U - 128G which is currently installed on my HP ENVY x360 (15-bp152nr) or should I go for the 500GB capacity only. Any recommendation? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I recently installed an Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 without any problems. I found the Manuals rather generic and vague so I opened my Pavilion Laptop to confirm the slot type before buying my SSD. The picture in my Manual shows the 2 slot type card but after checking I found that mine was a 1 slot type. I assume that your operating system is on the 128GB card, are  you familiar with transferring this operating system to the new card? That would be your only issue. One point I did learn after opening my Laptop was that HP did not include the screw required to secure the card, but as you have a pre-installed card that should not be an issue. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@alvill 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05749930

It has dual storage option with 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD and 1TB normal HDD. You can upgrade to 1TB or 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD and Samsung 970 EVO series is the good choice.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The SanDisk SD8SN8U-128G Keyboard lay-out is "M" and "B" (with 2 notches) as SATA M.2 SSD while Samsung  970 Evo and Plus are both Keyboard "M" (with only 1 notch) as NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD.

Does the Samsung 970 Evo with Keyboard lay-out "M" with only 1 notch will fit into the M.2 SSD slot or connector on my laptop without any problem?

Although that you have told me that Samsung 970 EVO series is the good choice, I still would like to know and to be sure before I buy this Samsung 970 Evo with Keyboard "M".

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I recently installed an Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 without any problems. I found the Manuals rather generic and vague so I opened my Pavilion Laptop to confirm the slot type before buying my SSD. The picture in my Manual shows the 2 slot type card but after checking I found that mine was a 1 slot type. I assume that your operating system is on the 128GB card, are  you familiar with transferring this operating system to the new card? That would be your only issue. One point I did learn after opening my Laptop was that HP did not include the screw required to secure the card, but as you have a pre-installed card that should not be an issue. 

HP Recommended

Yes it's true, that the picture in my Manual also shows the 2 slot type card. My operating system is on the 128GB card, I am somewhat familiar with transferring the operating system to a new card through Samsung Magician Apps. but I still have to buy the enclosure or casing at the same time together with the Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD.

Thanks for the info.

HP Recommended

Not familiar with the Casing you are talking about. Does your new card need this?

HP Recommended

It is an Adapter Enclosure for the NVMe 1.3 M.2 (2280) SSD so that you can connect it into the USB port of the laptop, then the operating system and all can be clone to this card by the use of Samsung Magician or by any other application. After completion of the cloning, then you can change the existing card with the new one.

HP Recommended

Oh I see now. Good Luck...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.