Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15 ce004la
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a new disk (SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB). I want to boot from it but the BIOS doesn't give me the chance to select it. I cloned the HDD disk with EaseUS Clone disk utility.

With the F9 option I can boot and the new disk works perfectly and very fast. But I need to do the following steps to do the boot:

• Boot From EFI file
  • Select the file system that correspond to the Nvme
  • <EFI>
  • <Boot>
  • Bootx64.efi

If I select directly the Samsung SSD 960 EVO (from F9 Boot Manager menu), it doesn't boot giving an error.

On some messages in this forum the get it working disconnecting the HDD, booting from the SSD and the reconnecting again. 

I don't wanna disconnect the HDD because the connectors are very fragile and don't wanna damage the machine.

Is there any chance to get it working without the disconnection?

I appreciate any help that can you bring me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ive seen the same complaint from several users that clone with Easus.

Samsung has a cloning utility thats free that will work much better.

Or

Clean install with the MS Media Creation Tool. You need to disconnect the HDD when installing. Then the SSD will boot and you can then connect and wipe the HDD and use it for storage. Only way I have found it to work properly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Ive seen the same complaint from several users that clone with Easus.

Samsung has a cloning utility thats free that will work much better.

Or

Clean install with the MS Media Creation Tool. You need to disconnect the HDD when installing. Then the SSD will boot and you can then connect and wipe the HDD and use it for storage. Only way I have found it to work properly.

HP Recommended

Ok. I'll try that and see.

When I have the result I'll post it here.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Samsung cloning utility doesn't worked, so I needed to clone the disk again with Easus. After that I still had problems but I think the following sequence is the correct:

• clone
  • disconnect HDD
  • boot
  • reboot and enter the BIOS
  • disable legacy and secure boot
  • reboot

Thanks @Photoray002!

PD: Samsung EVO 960 NVMe disk makes the computer incredible fast!!

HP Recommended

Sorry, didnt know you had Legacy still enabled. Yep that will do it.

Sounds like you are good to go now. Thanks for the update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.