Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17-cg0650nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have bought a HP Envy 17 cg0650nd. I asked before if I could install a second internal HDD. I was assured that that was no problem. When I got the notebook and the HDD I saw that the sata connector cable is missing. The seller recommanded me a cable that's suitable for other HP Envy 17 models, but it didn't fit because it was too small. It has 10 of those 'golden' connectors and where I need to put it in has 12 connectors. I've been searching everywhere but can't find it. I have connected Newmodeus, sending detailed photo's but they don't have a cable for me that will fit. Anyone out here who knows where to get the right cable? I'd be really glad with that!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Vuurtoren

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are looking for the SATA cable to connect a secondary hard drive.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Below is the part number for the hard drive connector/cable and you should be able to find it online or you can contact support and they will assist you in ordering the part.

L87952-001

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi The_Fossette Thanks a lot for the reply. I'm however still somewhat concerned. I live abroad and it takes quite a bit of time and effort before I can get the cable. I first bought this cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33030452497.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6b6e35bfOUF9sm&algo_pvid=...

That one doesn't work, the head of the connector is too small for the laptop. So I want to be sure this is the right cable. I have checked at stores selling and they don't mention the HP Envy 17 CG as a model that would work. I also count 10 'golden lines' where my laptop connector has 12 pins. The cable I have now has 10 lines as well and is too small. Are you really sure this is the model that will definitely fit a Envy 17 CG as well? I know by now that not all Envy 17 do have the same connection.

HP Recommended

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06001790

the maintenance and service guide above should provide the correct part.  Personally in a case like this I would try to buy from the HP Parts Store so if there is a problem you can get support.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help Repairatrooper. The manual you link to is for model: Product Name HP ENVY 17 Laptop PC (model number 17m-bw0xxx). It's with an 8th generation processor.

Given that I have a 17 CG with a 10th generation processor, this manual will not necessarily give me the right product. I have bought once a part for another HP Envy 17, I don't want to do that twice. It usually takes me several months before I finally have the item here (depends on how soon someone comes here). It's not so much the money I need to spend, but more the time that's added again that I can't use my laptop if it's not the right item.

HP Recommended

@Vuurtoren

I recommend you contact support and they will be able to assist you better in this regard.

Thanks!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.