Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have had a HP Pavilion 15 Touchscreen Notebook for a few years and had never replaced the battery. I recently decided to try and get a replacement as I was starting to get fed up of not being able to use the laptop for long without direct power before the battery expired.

I found a replacement via Amazon. I knew it was not a HP OEM one but decided to give it a go. The battery arrived and fitted fine. I powered the laptop up and bingo. It worked. It had a low charge so I inserted the power supply where is charged to 100%. 

i removed the power supply and restarted the laptop only to find I ended up with a completely black screen but otherwise the laptop appeared to be working. I shut down, removed the new battery and replaced my old one and everything worked fine.

After trying a lot of different scenarios I find that my laptop will fire up perfectly with the new battery every time until the point I insert the charging lead even for just a second and even if the the charger is not plugged into the mains. After this on power up my screen remains black. If I simply remove and reinsert the new battery everything works fine again.

I have performed a hard reset on the Laptop (as per the HP video) and have done a Bios recovery but still get the same problem. I have had a refund on the new battery (which I was allowed to keep) so not really now bothered about getting a new battery because it looks like a new battery only will give me 2 hours from full so I'll just keep using the mains until such time I replace the laptop but it is REALLY bugging me that I can't find an answer to what the problem is. 

Has anyone got any ideas or solutions I can try?

What I will add is that I have noticed that with my old battery the battery icon on the screen only shows me how much charge I have (in %) yet with the new battery it shows how much % and estimated duration in mins.

I have also just tried with an external display connected and it does not show anything either.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What I will add is that I have noticed that with my old battery the battery icon on the screen only shows me how much charge I have (in %) yet with the new battery it shows how much % and estimated duration in mins.

HP Recommended

@wacko141

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Please reinstall the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and check if that helps

Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get re-installed automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter ( For Notebooks with Removable Batteries )
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter and restart

Next update the BIOS from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

If the issue persists run a Battery Test again to confirm the Hardware Functionality

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Power > Battery

Let me know how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad

Nope. I still have the same issue. I followed all driver steps and also the battery check (passed), even to the point of calibrating the battery. 

However I have noted a couple of extra things. The problem doesn't happen if I select a restart of the notebook. It only happens if I shut down then use the power button to turn back on. Also I have now noted it actually happens with or without having connected the power supply. 

Shut down then power back on with the non OEM battery results in no screen coming on (nor an external display connected by HDMI. The only way to get the screen on is to remove the battery. I can then get the screen on with either just the power supply or by reinserting the non OEM battery. I actually have two non OEM batteries from the same supplier as they sent me another when I raised this issue with them in case the first battery had a fault. This issue is apparent with both non OEM batteries. The original OEM HP battery that came with the notebook some 7 years ago works fine every time. 

I would like to think that this is a problem with the non OEM batteries because the original one works fine but I am reluctant to try an order a proper HP replacement battery only to find it is an issue with something in my notebook.

HP Recommended

If the issue persists on 2 non OEM Batteries but the original Battery works, I suggest you contact HP Support in your region and check for battery replacement

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.