Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

With  lid open after a while of inactivity the screen turns off.  No matter what I try i am unable to reactivate the screen.  All power is on and charger plugged in.

The only I can reactivate it is to press the power button to reboot the machine, something I know is not good for the computer.  

Is there a setting to stop this, I have verified all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That sounds to me like a description of hibernation or sleep which is set in Windows settings by default.

It is normal and you can actually set the length of time that it takes to happen.

Instead of a hard shutdown, which involves pressing and holding the power button down or in for four seconds, next time just gently press the power button once to resume.

I am using Windows 11,

To avoid sleep or hibernation taking place when my laptop is plugged in

I went to  Settings,  System, Power& Battery
I set Sleep to never when plugged in.
I set screen to never turn pff when plugged in

It really would have helped if you had provided.

Your product's HP product name and  version and name of the Operating system installed (Windows/Linux)

When someone says they have verified everything, I just have to ask for clarification.

Do you mean  instead that you believe that you have tried every available option that you can think of?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

That sounds to me like a description of hibernation or sleep which is set in Windows settings by default.

It is normal and you can actually set the length of time that it takes to happen.

Instead of a hard shutdown, which involves pressing and holding the power button down or in for four seconds, next time just gently press the power button once to resume.

I am using Windows 11,

To avoid sleep or hibernation taking place when my laptop is plugged in

I went to  Settings,  System, Power& Battery
I set Sleep to never when plugged in.
I set screen to never turn pff when plugged in

It really would have helped if you had provided.

Your product's HP product name and  version and name of the Operating system installed (Windows/Linux)

When someone says they have verified everything, I just have to ask for clarification.

Do you mean  instead that you believe that you have tried every available option that you can think of?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I have played with those settings and for now seems to have worked.  For now I will consider solved.

BTW: My specs are on file

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
HP Recommended

"My specs are on file"

Those on file specifications are not something that non-HP employees have access to. That is why we ask.

HP Recommended

Mostly its due to outdated, corrupt or incorrect video card diver. Go to the device manager and update your drivers and graphics card. Or if you are on windows 10 use the troubleshooting options. If you are a laptop user, you can try removing the battery to fix the “Windows 10 black screen with cursor” issue

Regards,

Will

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.