Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Zbook 15 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I heave recently received from my work place a HP Zbook 15 g6 workstation. The laptop is mainly ok but came equipped with the 250 nits full hd ips display that is just bad ( I do not even know why HP offers this as an option in such an expensive product). Anyway, I would like to upgrade to a 4k display but from what I have deduced I also need to change the eDP display cable for the 4k screen to work. The problem is that I cannot find the part number for the display cable that supports the 4k screen option. Can anybody help me in this respect?

Best regards

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Actually it appears the screen cable is the same as long as you are not trying to go from touch to non-touch or vice versa. See p. 22-23 here:

Service Manual 

You need this screen panel:

Non-touch, UHD, 400 nits L68851-001

Not inexpensive:

https://www.lambda-tek.com/HP-L68851-001~sh/B43886582

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response, but unfortunately that is not the case. The cable for the full hd panel I have installed has a 30pin eDP connector, and from what I have found 4k screens have only 40pin eDP connectors. The service manual seems incomplete in this respect. 

HP Recommended

I would say so. I posted the Service Manual and the only other thing I can suggest is to go into the Parts Store and run the full replacement parts list for your laptop by Product Number and see if maybe there are 2 different non-touch cables listed there. What is the Product number (not the model number)?

I also see there is a 1000 nit FHD panel available which I believe to be the DreamColor panel. Stunning. But if you have to have UHD then we have to try to track down that 40-pin cable for you. 

HP Recommended

Sorry for the late response, I followed your suggestion and tried searching the Parts Store using the serial number and I found that the SPS-LCD CABLE KIT,  PN L68873-001 is compatible with every type of screen the Zbook 15 G6 has, except for the touch screen option. If i understand this correctly, it means that this lcd cable kit contains the correct cables  for all non touch screen types or at least 2 of them (one with 40 pins and one with 30 pins). I'm not 100% sure on this.

sps lcd Cable.png

HP Recommended

Typically you would get one cable. Perhaps you can contact the Store and ask exactly what comes in the "kit"?

HP Recommended

That would be best i think, but could you please tell me how exactly can I contact someone from the hp parts store, as I cannot seem to find any contact info on that at the moment. 

HP Recommended

No idea in Romania...go to the US or UK store and a popup will come up asking if you want to chat. 

HP Recommended

Unfortunately the US/Canada parts store chat was of no help, they just passed me off  to an European HP parts provider because Romania was not on their country support list.  The European parts provider did not bother to give any information about the LCD KABLE  KIT and passed me on to an unauthorised Romanian service centre that could not help me unfortunately. The UK version of parts store does not show any chat popup unfortunately. 
Finding out trivial information about a spare part seems impossible with HP parts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.