Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I went to get my HP dv4 Pavilion laptop after work tonight to check email and i opened it up and moved around the mouse to wake it up...the lights on they keyboard all came on as if it were starting but the screen stayed black. I waited a few minutes because sometimes it's been known to take a few seconds to actually kick on...but nothing happened so I forced shutdown by holding the power button. Turned it back on and the screen came on(with a "your system didn't shut down properly error screen) but it still started, but now the Caps Lock and Scroll keys had blinking lights on the side and top, blinking together about every second. I tried tapping the buttons and nothing happened. What caused this and how can i get rid of the blinking. I've read from doing a google search that shutting down, taking the battery out and unplugging from the A/C adapter and holding the power button for 15 seconds takes care of the problem...but I would like to make sure that is safe before trying as this is a fairly new laptop(just got it at Christmas time). I'm running Windows 7 if that makes a difference.

would also like to add that I just noticed that my little batter icon says it is plugged in but not charging....it's sitting at 80%....this is a brand new ac adapter that I just got last week...so I hope it's not that.

Thank you for any help you can give me....and sorry if this isn't the right forum....it seemed to be the best fit.

67 REPLIES 67
HP Recommended

In order to help you further, could you please provide us with more information about your computer? Please post the specific model number or the (PN - Part Number) from the white tag on your computer. This will help us locate drivers and identify correct parts for your specific model.

Make sure you've got the latest HP system BIOS installed.

HP Recommended

Hey, even I am getting the very same problem. Did you get some solution to this?

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

try removing the batt for 15-30 seconds it is safe to do it is a way of resetting called power cycling

if that doesnt work it will be a hardware error code if it stilll blinks let me know

The diagnostic utilities use the LEDs near the Num Lock or Caps Lock keys to blink a series of error codes. There is a pause and the pattern repeats continuously at the end of the series of blinks until the error is resolved

HP Recommended

I had the same issue just now and it looks like it resolved by simply shutting down and taking the battery out for 15-30s as was mentioned in a previous post, thanks for the advice!

HP Recommended

I am having a similar problem....

My dv4-1120US just stopped working - power and battery were in place - so, I opened it up (following the instructions in the manual) and put it back together after cleaning the inside (fan, etc.) with compressed air. After I put it back together and turned it on, the main LEDs came on - the fan turned on - but the scroll and cap light started blinking - it blinks once every sec s three times, and then pauses for three secs and then repeats ....

I removed the power, removedthe batteries, reset the machine, and even removed the cmos battery and reinstalled it, and reseated the RAM - but to no avail.

Any ideas?

My dv4-1120 US has been running hot / warm with a loud fan noise for a few mos, but recently it started turning itself off intermittently (no pattern). I wanted to clean the insides in case there was dust that was causing this issue.

Appreciate your insight.

HP Recommended

I had the same issue..when i open my HP Pavilion Laptop..the LED of the scroll and capslock are blinking.. i tried to get the battery for few seconds but it doesnt work.. i tried all the possible solutions posted above this topic.. but still the screen is black. I badly needed this laptop now. Anyone can help and advice me please? 😞

HP Recommended

i am having the same problem with my hp pavilion dv4 if you leave your comp on the screen will come on but it has taken me up to four hours and it will come on by its self i have turn it on and off a few times and that work sometime

HP Recommended

If its blinking 3 times, that means an error in the memory modules -- one of the easier things to fix.  Try removing the memory, and then re-placing it and see if that works.  Can also try swapping the Modules.

HP Recommended

I tried taking the entire laptop apart, cleaned the dust and fuzzbal out of the fangrill, and reapplied thermal paste to the heatsink above the CPU and the Video chip (AMD Radeon).

I put it back together and it did not resolve the issue.  Mine blinks a consistent 1 blink at a time and no long pause.  I dont even know what componant is defective to replace.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.