Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-au517tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In Fig1: default SSD 256GB in my system using m2 SATA( but  cannot upgrade to NVMe)

My only option is to replace the existing SSD 256gb to large capacity ( 500gb, 1TB M2 SATA) and then leave behind the 256gb SSD

SSD shouldn't be put in an optical caddy where the DVD drive connects as it is a slower port?

Is the port that highlight by the orange circle also considered as SATA 2/3?  

But the other question is? what is the maximum speed I can expect in terms of read /write ? 300 with sata2 ? 600 with sata3 ?

Then probably I will get a large capacity of HDD drive to store more files instead of getting a capping speed?

fig1fig1

fig1 my laptop [red, blue, orange]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You pretty well have it figured out. The port in the circle is a SATA port but likely SATA 2 and, of course is a specific optical drive interface. You could get an adapter but as you know, the speed would be slow. You could put a HDD in there for simple storage. 

You are going to get maybe 150 mbps through the optical port. Maybe a bit more. So you might as well just put a mechanical drive in there. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You pretty well have it figured out. The port in the circle is a SATA port but likely SATA 2 and, of course is a specific optical drive interface. You could get an adapter but as you know, the speed would be slow. You could put a HDD in there for simple storage. 

You are going to get maybe 150 mbps through the optical port. Maybe a bit more. So you might as well just put a mechanical drive in there. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.