Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I installed an extra 16GB of RAM on this computer. The system settings show that the RAM is recognized:

Installed RAM: 32GB (31.9 GB Usable)

When I'm running applications though, the RAM usage will not go above 52%. I've read that the system may be reserving the rest for the dedicated video card. Is that true?

I also made sure that "Maximum Memory" is unchecked under advanced boot options in msconfig.

So my question is: is my system using the extra RAM or not?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ironion37 

You've got plenty of RAM therefore system will assign some for other devices, mainly iGPU. The following table shows how much RAM system can take away

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics-drivers.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yes, I see that the Intel® processor graphics hardware is using the other half (16GB) of the installed RAM).

Isn't this a huge waste?

I use Davinci Resolve (video editing software) and the program uses the laptop's NVIDIA graphics card and not the Intel if I'm not mistaken.

16GB seems like a ridiculous allocation to drive the display. Is there some way to adjust this?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

@ironion37 

System will work this out itself, when other software requires more RAM, system will automatically assign spare RAM to it. When you open more  apps or more pages (web), system will also take spare RAM back and assign to work areas to avoid paging/swapping. (System means OS).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.