Level 1
12 9 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Several keys on my HP laptop don't work

HP Envy 17 notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Several keys in my laptop keyboard don't work: delete, 7, n, b.

What can I do to fix the problem?

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,031 41,820 6,636 11,585
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try an external usb keyboard to rule out any problem with the motherboard keyboard controller. If the external works go into device manager and uninstall the keyboard as a device and reboot to let the driver reload and replace the old driver. These are admittedly not real likely to work but cost nothing so worth a try. If none of that works, then we need to discuss a keyboard replacement and for that we need your full model number, color and language of the keyboard. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
12 9 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply Huffer.

I tried with the USB keyboard, and it actually works. All the keys, including the ones that don't work in my laptop, work with the USB keyboard.

I uninstalled the keyboard from device manager and rebooted my laptop, but the keys that I mentioned before (delete, backslash, # 7, letter "n", and letter "b") still don't work.

What is the next step that I can take?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replace the keyboard. Need the information requested in my last post to help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
12 9 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

should I send you the information in a private message?

I read somewhere not to write serial numbers in public messages

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did not ask for the serial number (it would not help anyway)...the MODEL number or Part number of the unit which lets me find the right manual. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
12 9 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

oh ok

then the model nember is HP Envy 17 notebook PC

the color is silver

the language is American English

thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We are chipping away. There are dozens of HP Envy 17 models all with different keyboard or at least many different ones. Here is how to find the exact model number:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00033108

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
12 9 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have it listed as product number (right below the serial number in the battery compartment) but I think it's the same as model number

EOK82UA#ABA

I hope this is the one

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now we are getting somewhere. 

Envy 17-j020us is the model number and I had a laptop in that same model series a couple years back. 

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

You are out of warranty, right? Guessing the laptop is close to 3 years old now. You do not have a touchscreen, but you do have a backlight and have no pointing stick in the middle of the keyboard; just a touchpad, right?

If so, this is the part number

For use in the United States 720244-001

See p. 92. Unfortunately, I have some bad news. Keyboard replacement on this model is the most difficult of any model I know of. You come in from the back and actually have to remove the motherboard before you remove the keyboard. It is quite simply going to have to be done by an experienced technician. I would be nervous to do it and I fix laptops pretty often. 

You might save yourself some money by buying the keyboard yourself and take it to a repair shop to do the repair. 

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Keyboard-15t-J000-15t-j100-TouchSmart/dp/B01CZCFIOS/ref=sr_1_1?ie...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation