Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Alrighty so I have a HP Pavillion DV7 with i5 2.3ghz, and switchable graphics. Intel 3000 and AMD Radeon 7400M series. The computer cams stock with Windows 7 64bit. But ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, I noticed my laptop got was very slow and low FPS in games such as fortnite. I’m familiar that most graphic cards in laptops are sottered in the motherboard and can’t be changed. On another note, I noticed Windows 10 pretty much doesn’t support my graphics cards at this point. If I downgrade to Windows 7 64bit, and update all my drivers and overclock my gpu(s), do you think it would run 60FPS constant or more on low settings in fortnite at the least ?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, I believe your PCs graphics will perform better on W7 than W10. 

That is because there are no W10 drivers for the switchable graphics.

However, there are no updates to the switchable graphics in W7 either. 

You can only use the AMD graphics driver on your notebook's support page in order for the switchable graphics to work correctly.

Also note that over time the delicate GPU"s get overheated from excessive gaming and they will run slower and eventually fail altogether--expecially the AMD GPU.

HP Recommended

I completely understand. In fact I’m about to try and build my first gaming pc with lots of rgb. I just don’t have the money currently as you know PC builds aren’t cheap. I’m just trying to get the most out of my laptop rn with gaming. But I’ve honestly never gamed on this laptop, I updated it to Windows 10 and downloaded fortnite and it was dreadful. On medium settings I was getting like 15fps, if that. So do you think if I downgrade to W7 64bit and update every driver to the most recent version, I could game and at what FPS do you think the AMD can handle ?

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I couldn't predict what the FPS rate would be on W7, but it just has to be better than what is is on W10 because the drivers aren't really the right ones.

Again...there are no graphics driver updates for your model.  HP releases one switchable graphics driver and that's that.

If you try to update either the Intel or AMD graphics drivers from their respective websites, the switchable graphics will not work, and you will be worse off than you are now.

HP Recommended

Alrighty man I appreciate it. Looks like I will be downloading W7 64bit on a flash drive 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know if the FPS rate improved using the graphics driver from the support page.

Remember...you only install the AMD graphics driver which will install the drivers for both the Intel and AMD GPU's.

You do not download the Intel driver and never allow windows update to install a newer Intel graphics driver.

Some model notebooks has more than one graphics driver on the support page.

You want the AMD file with the greatest file size.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.