Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 5G (i5-8250U, 500GB HDD, 20G RAM)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just received and setup a brand new HP ProBook 450 5G (i5-8250U, 500GB HDD, 20G RAM) running Windows 10.  This laptop as the ability to have an HDD drive (which came pre-installed) and M.2 SSD drive.

From my understand, the SSD is the upcoming standard, faster, quiet and better overall.  I’d like to add an M.2 256GB drive to my laptop and I’m wondering what I need to do to experience the benefits of the drive.

I understand how to physically install the card, but I’m wondering if I will need to install Windows on the M.2 card and remove it from the HDD or what.  I guess I’m thinking that if Windows 10 is still on the HDD, then I won’t experience the benefit of the SSD.

Of course, maybe I’m mis-understanding the whole thing here.  Can someone explain why (or if it’s desirable) to install the M.2 SSD?  And, if so, what steps must I take to receive the benefits?

Thank you so much!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If you install an SSD you want to install Windows on it and use it as boot drive to take advantage of the extra speed. An SSD will boot faster and Windows and programs will run faster on it.

I would install it, boot from a Windows USB or DVD and delete all partitions on the original drive and format it for a storage drive. Choose the unallocated space on SSD to install Windows.

If you don't have a Windows bootable usb flash drive Microsoft provdes Media Creation Tool to make it:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Select Download tool now, and select Run.
If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.
On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next. You choose that option even though you are using the laptop it is intended for.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Hi and thank you for your reply!  Sorry, I'm so long in following-up.

I've installed the SSD and it appears that it is recognized and working.  However, I tried numerous times (multitude of hours) to install Windows 10 without success.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong or missing a step.  Must I completed reformat both the HDD (C:\) and the SSD drive before trying to install?  Or can I install just on the SSD and, after successful installation, remove the partitions and reformat the HDD?

I went to the link provided in your response and used the Windows Tool to create recovery media on a brand new USB.  Then, tried installing Windows 10 from the USB.  It fails everytime, saying that I'm missing files.  In particular it noted that it was missing winload.efi with an error code of 0xc000000e.  Keep in mind that I retried this process 3+ times from the beginning steps (i.e. wiping the USB, using the Windows Tool to create the recovery media, etc.). 

Then, I tried using HP Recovery Manager on my HP.  I tried creating Recovery Media on the USB.  It goes through all of the steps (e.g. prep files, copy files).  But, when it gets to the last stage, verify media, it fails (This is about 1.5 hour process at minimum).

I tried using the HP Recovery Manager again late last night.  When I woke up, it said the media was complete (all steps succesfully completed).  I plan to try to install again tonight when I get home, BUT I need to make sure I'm not missing something.  AND, I don't want to wipe the C:\ and then find that the installation has failed AGAIN.

Please provided any insight.

Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

Just unplug the original hdd to do the install on SSD. Leave it unplugged until installation is complete and you have booted into Windows at least once. Keeping in mind that the laptop may/may not  attempt to boot from the original drive when  replugged. Go into BIOS using F10 key and make sure the SSD is above the hdd in boot menu.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.