Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 ap0xxx 4WB76UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All,

I purchased a Samsung 3.1 Fit Plus Samsung drive for my laptop (USB A).

According to my PC specs, this is a 3.1 Gen 2 USB port... but my transfer rate is only around 40 MB/s.  When I move the drive down to another laptop (Lenovo Legion), the speed is closer to 300MB/s as advertised (seq read).

All drivers (windows and HP) are supposedly up to date.  BIOS F27.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

R

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Rhyalus_x360
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Have you tried with different external HDD or USB flash drive to check the speed?

the USB port you are using is usually connected to the chipset. Thus, if you want to want to solve the problem of "USB transfer speed slow", you can try to update the USB driver or the chipset driver.

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Generally, the USB 3.0 port is enabled by default. If your USB transfer speed is slow, you should have a check at whether the option is on. 

1. To boot the computer into BIOS:
  2. Turn off your computer
  3. Make sure you have connected the power cable
  4. Turn on your notebook, as it is starting press the  F10 button repeatedly
  5. use the arrow keys (left and right) to choose the "Advanced" tab.
  6. Choose "USB Configuration" and hit "Enter".
  7. If you see the option "USB 3.0 (or 2.0) Support" is disabled, use the arrow keys to choose it and hit "Enter".
  8. In the "Options" window, select "Enabled" and press "Enter".
  9. Press "F10" to save the changes and exit BIOS. Then your computer will boot into Windows as normal.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo...

Thanks for the reasonable reply!

I tested another USB 3 external drive and the transfer rate was < 80 MB/s.  So this is still less than would be expected.

I did go into BIOS (F27) and I did not see a USB setting.  I will double check though.

When I go to HP Support Assistant, it does not show that there are any drivers that can be updated.  I also have no Windows updates pending.

Do you think there are other Intel drivers that I should download?

I tried to "update drivers" from Device Manager, but nothing seems to be available. 

Is there a way to validate what port I have on this system?  Do you have access to my product # to see if my expectations are correct?

(P.S Edit on Sep 10 - I confirmed that there is no advanced tab in this BIOS).

Thanks,

R

HP Recommended

@Rhyalus_x360

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try this:
Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests. If the diagnostics are not available when using the F2 menu, run the diagnostics from a USB drive.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Echo...

Again, thank you for the continued assistance.

I booted into F2 and I was able to run the "component" test on the USB.  Unfortunately, the report only comes back with a "PASSED" result...no other information.

I ran the Thunderbolt test as well - same positive result but nothing more.

Can you comment on whether my expectations are correct?  A USB 3.1 Gen2 should have better transfers, correct?  Maybe I need to find a "USB info" application to query this port more?

R

(EDIT: Stand by - doing more tests with different drives...don't spend any more time on this until I finish my testing...thanks!)

HP Recommended

@Rhyalus_x360

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. As the hardware test on USB port passed. Hence, it might be an issue with software or OS.

By reinstalling Windows operating system you can isolate the issue and also system recovery will install original factory shipped software and drivers. 

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961#AbT3 to perform a system factory recovery.

Note: Back up all personal files and read all caution statements before performing a system recovery.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.