Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop Touch Screen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought this laptop August of 2015.  It has been slowing way down lately then I get the spinning wheel on restart.  Went to the test window  after hitting ESC go to F2 did a test and this is what it says.

Testing Drive 1

Hard Drive SHort DST Check : FAILED

Failure ID: RSNE1V-7NQ8MP-MFPWMG-60UR03

Product ID: N5Y5OUA#ABA

Hard Drive 1 - Primary HDD Bay

Component Test : Failed

This computer isn't even two years old yet.  What can be done, it is out of warranty. 

E227599
HP Pavilion 17" Touch Laptop
Quad Core 8GB RAM
1TB HDD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The hard drive must be replaced. It is not as expensive or difficult as you fear but is not a trivial task either. Post back and we can provide purchase suggestions for a new drive, instructions, and likely even a video. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The hard drive must be replaced. It is not as expensive or difficult as you fear but is not a trivial task either. Post back and we can provide purchase suggestions for a new drive, instructions, and likely even a video. 

HP Recommended

Replacing the hard drive is something I can do, I have been on amazon looking at hard drives.  If you could provide purchase information that would be great, here is the model number # HP Pavilion 17-g034cy Notebook

HP Recommended

Here is what you need:

Manual

See p. 36 for "how to". 

Any 2.5 inch wide 7 or 9.5mm thick SATA HDD will work fine and you want a 7200 rpm drive. You can even upgrade to a solid state drive for additional money. You currently have a 1 TB 5400 rpm drive so you want at least 1 TB if you are getting a mechanical hard drive. This is a good option:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Performance-Mobile-Hard-Drive/dp/B01DOL05OC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499...

This will give a performance boost. Do you have a backup or recovery disk you can use to reinstall? 

Post back if you want to discuss software reinstallation options. 

HP Recommended

Well I was haing issues with my laptop and Microsoft gave me a file that goes on a flash drive (that I still have) it is windows 10, will that work?

HP Recommended

Yes that will work. I am assuming it is the Media Creation Tool disk which will install Windows 10 on your machine. You may want to go out to the Microsoft site and grab the latest one just to avoid a lot of post-install updates. 

HP Recommended

Will this one work? He doesn't really need to 1 TB of space, we have a 4 TB personal cloud

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QFXOL5G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1PY2TJ4XEJEFD&psc=1

HP Recommended

That one, too

HP Recommended

I got the hard drive, whats next?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.