cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Smart hard drive failure GU417R-86C92F-MFPX6J60Q903

HP Recommended
Hp pavillion notebook star wars edition
Used my computer one day & the next day , my screen was telling me to run diagnostics so I did was given smart hard drive failure primary hdd bay I’d # GU417R-86C92F-MFPX6J60Q903
Lisa Ganow
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11
2,879 2,819 382 1,134
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Lreddevil1924,

I don't think the failure ID is correct. However, usually, if a computer fails a hard drive test, that means the hard drive is failing and requires replacement. 

Please back up important files now. If you are unable to do so, you can try to recover the files later through a USB to SATA adapter. 

Contact HP if you are under warranty.

Contact HP Worldwide here.

Check warranty status here.

If you are not under warranty, you have to replace the drive yourself. However, a specific model/product number would be appreciated. (Please do not post serial numbers on the HP Support Forum)

Information on how to find a laptop's model/product number is detailed in this HP document.

A recommended SSD.

Regards,

kem579

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

I am currently preoccupied with both academic and professional priorities so please note that there may be a delay in my responses. Thank you for your understanding.

You can show your appreciation for my post by clicking the blue thumbs up icon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
Level 1
12 12 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there,

For the Hard drive test failure Code GU417R-86C92F-MFPX6J-60Q903 kindly contact the HP customer care from your country of residence and arrange for a service if in warranty.

We advice you not to replace the faulty HD with any third party HD which could cause other Hardware issues to your unit.

Thanks and Have a nice day!

"I am an HP employee"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,871 10,825 2,135 4,235
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Lisa,

Most likely the drive failed the short test and needs to be replaced. If you can still boot into Windows you need to backup all your personal data to an external drive. 

You can replace the drive with any 2.5" hard drive from your prefered brand and capacity (Seagate,WD...). On page 49 of service manual you can see the steps to replace the drive.

Example

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04642845

you could also opt for an SSD as @EddyK suggested which would improve everyday performance of the PC. You would need a 2.5" Sata 3 SSD from your prefered brand.

Example:

You will need to reinstall Windows either with HP recovery disks, any backup image or by downloading the media creation tool from Microsoft (on different computer if yours does not boot) running and creating a bootable drive with Windows 10 on it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have removed the old drive you can try connecting it to the PC with Sata to USB adapter to see if you can recover your files.

Let us know if you need further help,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thank you everyone very helpful info
Lisa Ganow
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation