Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Dear all,
After windows 11 update keys on my OMEN 15 laptop - j,k,l,\, and caps lock are not working.
I tried upgrading, and reinstalling keyboard drivers but was not really useful. (Driver is the latest)
Tried also some "windows 11"  keyboard "fixes" like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh7oA7UyRVk , but nothing helped.

Can anyone help with this issue, please?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Omen-Laptop

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

• Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?
  • Have you tried to use an external keyboard and check if the issue persists?
  • Did you try to run a test on the keyboard from F2?

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

• If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.
  • If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.
  • With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.
  • With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.
  • Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

If you have an alternate USB External keyboard, you can try to connect to the computer and check if that works.

If the external keyboard works fine, this clearly indicates a possible failure with the Notebook keyboard.

If the external keyboard doesn't work either, then I would suggest you could try creating a new User account and followed by System restore, 

Follow the steps here to create a local account on your PC: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-...    

Follow the link for system restore: HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

Alternatively, you can try to test the keyboard.

Option 1: 

Then perform these steps to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related.

• Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
  • It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ and  “command prompt”
  • Type all the keyboard characters in this black window especially the keys that do not work correctly.
  • If F11 does not take you to recovery manager, please keep tapping the “ESC” gently several times the instant you power on the unit. It takes you to the startup menu and you could press F11 from there to go to recovery manager. Please check all the keys in the command prompt black window, especially the keys that don’t work.

If it does not work in the command prompt window the computer certainly has a keyboard hardware issue.

Option 2: I would recommend running the interactive keyboard test using the HP Hardware diagnostics tool: Click here for instructions.

If the test fails or works fine with an alternate/external keyboard, it would confirm a hardware malfunction.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.