Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
04-09-2019 03:41 PM - edited 06-01-2019 04:03 AM
I have a 6 months old Spectre 15t-ch0xx (Vega, 4k) and I noticed that there is something wrong with the battery.
1. It is discharging when the computer it's OFF.
2. Another thing is that from fully charged, when I use it, it looses first 10% in a matter of minutes.
3. I use it to play some YouTube videos in fullscreen and it took 6.5 hours to empty the battery form 100% to 10% (this is less than 12 hours advertised).
4. For charging from 10% to 100% it takes 3 hours with 150W original charger (until the led is turned white).
5. The diagnostic says that the battery is good (test passed).
I chat twice with HP tech support, they installed latest BIOS, Intel ME , Intel Thermal, with no good result and finally they recommend sending the laptop to HP USA (I have to pay the shipment - from Europe).
But the problem is that (from what I read in this forum there are small chances that HP will fix it from the first time).There are some people who send the laptop 3 times back.
If I have to pay 3 times for shipping I can buy myself a new battery.
Is there any other way to fix this?
04-09-2019 05:32 PM
I would look at the advanced results of the battery test not just the pass/fail. I would try to talk HP into just sending a replacement battery because you are right the cost of a battery is likely less than the cost in terms of cash for shipping and loss of use of the laptop for as long as it takes HP to work on it from Europe to USA. We can help you with doing the battery replacement itself.
04-10-2019 08:29 AM - edited 04-10-2019 08:37 AM
HP support guy sent me to :
- local service (which said that they are not covering this because the laptop was not bought from Europe)
- US service (I have to pay shipment + 1.5 months time lost, which costs approx to a battery)
I supposed I should have listened to the people in this forum, not to buy a HP Spectre laptop because of the battery problem.
Premium laptop, premium price, low quality batteries.
04-10-2019 08:39 AM
Well you know the same factories in China make laptop batteries for all laptop makers, right? HP does not actually make the batteries and it is not uncommon to get a poor performing battery on any kind of laptop. But right now you have a problem that can be fixed with a battery and it would make sense for you to buy it out of pocket if you must rather than buying a whole new laptop over a problem that can be fixed for maybe $60. Sorry for your troubles but that is an objective review of your situation.
05-26-2019 08:17 AM - edited 06-01-2019 04:05 AM
Laptop checked by local service, battery formatted 4 times, latest BIOS F.30 Rev.A ---> and they say all it's OK.
"It's normal to drain 5% per day when the laptop is OFF".
My laptop drains battery 4% per day (laptop always OFF, nothing plugged in).
Is there anyone at HP who can help with this 1600$ brick? BIOS update or a SPHINX update?
If not, maybe a YouTube video can help. A one with a Spectre 360 (Covered under Manufacturer warranty,4 months remaining) + a sledgehammer.