Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre

Hello,

I have a HP Spectre (serial [removed]) which is less than 2 years old.

Recently I noticed that the power button has not been as responsive as before and it has taken several presses to turn on.

This last time, the button got jammed inwards, crooked, and the laptop will not turn on. 

Help, any advice appreciated!  I am not very IT knowledgable or handy.  It would seem I need to take the back cover off to push it back inline but I would like to hear how other people may have addressed this.  Prefer a long-term fix, not too expensive.

Thanks in advance!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@hello14

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand, the power button is not working fine,

This seems to be hardware related, I would suggest you contact our phone support for service options: 

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

HP Recommended

would really love to find out if you fixed this, and how. I have teh same problem and i'm two months out of warranty.  i got a numbe rfor phone support as the hp bot suggested, and that starts with, "if you're out of warranty, this call might cost money"  (something like that).  all i want to know is how to replace the button. is that so hard to answer, HP?  

HP Recommended

Ok so I started taking the laptop apart with the intention that I would replace the button. However Before I finished it was enough to loosen things up and I think I was able to realign the button using a tiny screwdriver. I never replaced the button but it works now. I am just much more careful with it and make sure I press it carefully. I also got a new laptop for work lol. Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.