Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 2 (295 Views)

Spectre X2 12" detachable external battery via USB-C

Product Name: Spectre x2
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does anyone know of an external battery pack that will work with the Spectre x2? I've tried 2 packs and various cables and nothing seems to work. I even wasted my time and bought the HP external battery that the HP support staff promised me would be compatible. Thx

0 Kudos
Honor Student
Message 2 of 2 (290 Views)

Re: Spectre X2 12" detachable external battery via USB-C

Why HP's the odd duck

In the chart above you can see there’s one vendor with a glaring-red problem: HP with its Spectre X2. Keep in mind, I’ve updated the Spectre X2 with the latest UEFI and it still won’t work with third-party chargers. Here’s why.

After speaking with HP officials about the issue, it appears the company is just playing it safe. Fearing that a counterfeit or out-of-spec charger could make the touchscreen or audio subsystem flaky, HP has limited the access non-certified chargers have to the device. For now, HP exec Mike Nash told us, only “overnight” charging, or charging while the device is off, is supported.

”Are we being too conservative?” Nash asked. “I don’t think so.”

HP is committed to USB-C—it already has four or five devices that use it for charging. The company just doesn’t believe the spec is ready for interchangeability yet.

Lee Atkinson, a distinguished technologist at HP who’s been leading the effort to corral PC makers around USB-C, said the upcoming Power Delivery 3.0 spec should solve many of the outstanding issues, such as how much voltage to supply and how to control which way power flows between two devices. Atkinson said OEMs all agree it has to be done correctly and with group consensus.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation