Honor Student
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre X360 battery discharging when turned off - SOLUTION

X360 13-4014TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently, my Spectre X360 seemed to be completely flat every time I went to use it. This is despite being turned off (not in sleep mode or any other lazy-shutdown mode).

I've had this lappy for probably two years now, but use it only occasionaly, like say, once every two months. With that infrequent use, I do expect some discharge over that time and it usually had some charge left in it as far back as I can remember. Nevertheless, of late, I've been using the lappy a bit more frequently and have noticed it was completely flat after leaving it for just a week or less.

So I searched for an answer on this forum and found a couple of threads that went on for pages with "me too" posts and useless cut-and-paste answers from techs (mostly offering software "solutions") which I knew were not relevant.

Eventually I found a couple of clues burried deep in the threads that made sense.  They were the 5v USB charging while turned off along with having any USB devices left attached (someone mentioned mouse dongles).

Immediatly, I realised that my recently purchased 128Gb Sandisk nub drive, which I have left attached, may have been a contributor.

Subsequently, I;

1. Now remove the nub drive when the machine is not in use (despit it being designed to be left in all the time).

2. Ensured I had the latest BIOS (F.43) - The other threads talk about an F.10 BIOS version. Whatever.

3. Disabled the power to the USB ports when the lappy is switched off by setting it in the BIOS.

I can CONFIRM that the discharge issue no longer affects my lappy.

Suggestions; Disable switched off USB charging in the BIOS. And as an added precaution, unplug any and all USB devices when lappy is being stored for any period of time.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
13,623 12,733 826 1,429
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MotoScoddie

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 - 13-4014tu and the battery drain out even while the laptop is powered off complete. I see that you have gone through a list of extensive and exhaustive troubleshooting steps. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I see that you have performed the correct BIOS update

I suggest you to update the Chipset drivers also. There are two types of chipset drivers available on the HP website. You can install them both:

This should take care of it. If the issue persists then let us run a battery test by following the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Battery - The Battery Test checks your system to make sure that the battery is functioning properly. It tests the battery and allows you to run calibration if needed. The Battery Check test time is 2 minutes. Battery Calibration time is 2 to 4 hours. To run the battery test and for battery information, follow the steps in Battery Test.

If the test tells you to calibrate the battery then please follow the steps from this link to calibrate the battery. 

Hope this helps. Please feel free to keep me posted. Good luck! 🙂

0 Kudos
MotoScoddie Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks MKazi,

I appreciate your helpful reply.

Although my post was more to provide a solution for others rather than a question, your reply has some extra steps that may be useful. Nevertheless, before my post, I had confirmed my rectification efforts had worked successfully.

Let's hope that between us, our efforts will be valuable help to others.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,795 12,339 1,165 2,371
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @MotoScoddie,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. As @MKazi is out of office, I am replying on his behalf. 

It was also magnanimous on your part to share this information on HP forums that will assist several others to fix the issue by freeing up disk space. I thank you greatly for sharing this vital piece of information.

You are a valued HP customer. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation