Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 13" P/N Y4P51AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have two battery related battery problem on my 2 year old Spectre X360 13” (Y4P51AV).

And yes, I have installed the latest BIOS, refresh most drivers, firmware, etc.…

1- The battery drains from 100% to ~80% overnight even when the notebook has been properly shutdown (not in Sleep or  hibernate mode)
I have seen that issue reported by many people and there is mention of a "Phenix Patch" that really fixes it.
I have not been able to find it on the HP website. Where can I find that patch?

2- The notebook goes into hibernation when reaching ~37% charge.
The fixes I have read so far call for removing the battery to reset the system.

I don’t think I am allowed to remove that battery on the X360… Am I?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Philippejj1 Greetings from the HP Community!

Here are a few steps that should help resolve both the issues:

Resetting the ACPI battery driver may take care of this. There will be a hard reset mixed in as well, so the two methods combined typically help a lot with battery issues.

1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.

2. Expand batteries.

3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.

4. Shut down the computer. 

5. Disconnect the charger.

6. Remove the battery.

7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.

8. Insert the battery only.

9. Attempt to turn the battery on.

If this had an impact, it should behave differently.

If not, Press the power button and then tap the F2 key to invoke the startup menu.

Choose and click on the F10 key to invoke the BIOS.

Use the System Configuration tab. Disable USB Charging and press the F10 key to save the changes and boot into Windows.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Neither solutions worked.

After removing the ACPI driver and rebooting to reinstall it, the battery still drained overnight from 100% to 74%.

Note that I was not able to remove the battery as my notebook is a Spectre X360 and the back of the notebook is screwed tight. (I am not sure I am supposed to uncsrew the back).

Disabling the USB charge in the BIOS did not fix it either. After 4 hours, the battery had drainind from 100% to 82%.

In both cases, I performed a shutdown (not a Sleep) to turn the notebook off after making the changes. 

HP Recommended

@Philippejj1 I suggest you run a calibration and test on the battery using this link: click here for details,

And get back to us with the results.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, recalibrating the battery did not help.

It even looks like it made matters worse: instead of losing ~50% over night, it has lost ~75% of the power last night.

It is as if something (NIC?, USB?) is still being powered even when the notebook is fully and properly shutdown. 

Now, I think that the problem may not be harwdware, but with Windows 10 that leaves something active?

HP Recommended

@Philippejj1 That indicates that this is a hardware malfunction we are dealing with, and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have a new interesting piece of information: 

When I let the notebook hibernate, it does not drain the battery. The battery drain only happens after a full shutdown.

Last night, the notebook was unplugged but I did not do my usual full shutdown and I let it go into hibernation after 5 min of inactivity. This morning, when the notebook "woke up" from hibernation, the battery was at 98% instead of the 35% I usually see.

I am doing more thorough tests to try to get to the bottom of this one.

HP Recommended

Hi Phillip, 

I have the exact same problem with my brand new spectre 10th gen i7, mine will drain a whole battery in about 10 hours of being in "shutdown" mode, the laptop stays hot throughout the evening. I just saw your update that putting the laptop in hibernation helps. I will try that today and see or maybe you've found some more discoveries?

I feel i have just about tried everything on every forum and suggestions from HP but it seems they have given up on my case. 

HP Recommended

Hello Kaj11,

This problem is frustrating as I first noticed it a few weeks ago, and I don't know what triggered it (Windows update? Norton update? something else?) II personally think it more likely to be a combination software/firmware/BIOS issue and as I  keep current with the latest updates (Windows, HP drivers, MS Office, all the browsers, etc...)  it could have been any of the above.

But I can confirm  that when in sleep/hibernate mode overnight, the battery drains at what I consider "a normal rate" (~15% overnight) instead of 75%.

I am still tinkering with it and I will post if I find something interesting.

Stay tuned!

HP Recommended

I am making some progress: 

Three days ago, I reinstalled all the Intel Chipset drivers (all 5 of them ) available on the X360 support page. I had noticed that the versions of some of the drivers installed on my notebook were more recent than the "officially tested by HP" versions.

For the past 2 nights, I only lost ~25% of the power (much better than the ~75% before).

I'll keep on refreshing the drivers, a few at a time, and see if it gets better.

Note: I did not install the newer SP95402 - Integrated sensor driver - as it was not compatible with my Windows 10 version but I installed the previous driver: SP78556 (circa 2016)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.