cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Spectre X360 won't power on diagnosis is bad motherboard

HP Recommended
13-4110-dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

At about 18 months old, device began to fail. Wouldn't charge even when plugged in, then would not turn on at all, no LEDs even when connected to AC power. Was able to be re-started one last time, but died within 20 minutes and has been a brick since.

HP repair quotes $711 to ship, inspect, and effect repair - and then will advise about other issues.  In other words, pay almost 70% of initial cost *and have no guarantee that the device will be fixed*.  After purchasing new power supply and power jack assembly failed to help, took to 3rd party shop and had 'bad motherboard' diagnosed; seems to be par for the course for this product line (see below, copied from another thread).

Scant motivation indeed to make subsequent HP purchases.

Update 2018-02-27: As per (first) reply below, was contacted by HP support escalation. After discussion, was told unit qualified for out-of-warranty Motherboard replacement. Was sent a shipping box, packed and sent unit to HP. Due to some incidental body/screen damage, wasn't sure if fix would work, but very happy that HP was willing to try, pretty much all I could ask for.

However, when unit was returned with status 'repaired', I was elated to see no evidence of this damage, very probably a new unit, perhaps easier (cheaper) than fixing when outcome was uncertain.  Needless to say I've completely changed my opinion of HP, struck through above:  "Motivation indeed to make subsequent HP purchases".

:generic:

: End update :

In case it is useful to anyone, here is a partial cross-reference to similar posts. I used the search "spectre x360 power motherboard" and got 8 pages of results (at least 60 individual posts). A search of "spectre x360 burn motherboard" gives 100 threads. Does anyone see a pattern:

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,216 5,204 270 386
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @DaveXuC,

Welcome to HP Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation