Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13t-aw000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I originally posted in the OS/Recovery board, but am repeating it here for better visibility. My late 2019 OLED Spectre x360 13" recently got the BIOS update from F.18 to F.26 via HP Support Assistant. The release notes for the update only say:

- Updates the BIOS to provide support for additional notebook models.
- Updates the Intel CPU microcode to improve system stability.
- Provides enhanced security. NOTE: HP strongly recommends transitioning promptly to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.

Since the update, my notebook will no longer charge when my external Thunderbolt3 dock/enclosure is attached. This update has essentially rendered my computer useless for Thunderbolt3!

50 REPLIES 50
HP Recommended

@desiato

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, let's try Microsoft system restore:
System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected.

1. Save any open files and close all open programs.
  2. In Windows, search for restore, and then open Create a restore point from the results list.

System Properties opens with the System Protection tab selected.

1. On the System Protection tab, click System Restore.

The System Restore window opens.

1. Click Next.
  2. Click the Restore Point that you want to use, then click Next.

The confirmation window opens.

1. Click Finish to restore your computer to a previous point.
  2. Do not interrupt System Restore when it starts. This can corrupt your hard drive and create more problems. Click Yes in the warning that appears.
  3. System Restore returns the computer configuration to a previous point in time and restarts.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@echo_lake Thanks for your suggestion, but that did not fix the issue.

HP Recommended

@desiato

Thank you for posting back.

Perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@echo_lake I followed the steps above and installed all the available updates, but it did not get rid of the problem. And don't forget, the problem started when I installed the F.26 BIOS when it was listed as a recommended update from the HP Support Assistant!

I'm pretty sure the issue has to do with the new F.26 BIOS. When can that be fixed?

HP Recommended

@desiato

Thank you for posting back. 

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That's not an acceptable troubleshooting step to me. My machine is out of warranty, so I would have to pay for a support call. The only thing that has changed with my machine configuration has been the BIOS update to F.26 and that is when this issue began. Others have experienced this as well, as evidenced in the Reddit post I linked in either this post or the other one I've made in the HP Support Community.

I want to know what HP's plan is for investigating this issue and delivering another BIOS update that addresses it, or allows us to roll back to F.18 where this issue was not present.

HP Recommended

I did another test that confirms (for me) that it is the BIOS that is the problem. I checked the battery life remaining as reported by Windows and it said 93%. I then completely shut down the computer (via Start / Power / Shut down) and confirmed that it was fully off. I removed all external connections and confirmed all LEDs were off. I then connected my TB3 dock, confirmed that the orange charging LED was on, and left the machine unpowered for 10-15 minutes. I then came back to it, unplugged the TB3 dock, and then powered up the laptop. Windows reported 89% battery remaining once it booted.

So with the machine fully shut down and the TB3 dock connected, something did not allow it to charge the battery. I can only assume this would be at the BIOS level since the computer was fully shut down beforehand.

HP Recommended

@echo_lake can you please provide an update? Thank you

HP Recommended

Any luck? I'm about to post my own issue related to this. Very frustrating.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.