Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 10 (1,120 Views)

Spectre x360 Battery Drainage after Shut Down

Product Name: Spectre 13-W000 x360
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I recently bought the new HP Spectre x360 (Late 2016 Build) and since then I have noticed problems retaining charge after the computer is completely shut down. I exchanged the laptop yesterday for the same model and have also witnessed battery discharge after shut down. The discharge is about 6-8% every 8 hours when it is shut down.

The things I have tried:

Turn off Fast Boot

Deactivate Hibernate (deactivates fast boot as well)

Battery Check and Calibration (Battery Check came back "Okay")

Deactivate selective USB charging

Deactivate USB Charging when the system is off (using BIOS)

I was promised that the issue would be fixed if I calibrated my battery by an HP support employee which did not work.

I found a prospective solution online that has caused a known battery drain for thousands of HP Users. Many users experienced this odd battery drainage due to the Intel Management Engine Interface (IMEI) Driver but this is purely what users are reporting and may not even solve my problem.

Does anyone else have the same issue and have solved it? If so, please give me a hand. Worst comes to worst, I will have to return this laptop. I have spent too much time trying to resolve this issue (probably 6 hours) and am extremely frustrated since you don't expect this type of issue out of a "luxury" laptop nor a new one at that.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you!

HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 10 (1,077 Views)

Re: Spectre x360 Battery Drainage after Shut Down

Hi @Ydan13,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you.

As I understand the laptops battery is discharging while it's in a shutdown state and you need assistance in resolving this concern, I have a few suggestions for you,

You will need to Understand Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology: Click here for details

Checking the Status of the Battery using the HP Battery Check it’s a utility in HP Support Assistant that provides a simple but accurate test results for the battery.

The maximum capacity of all batteries decreases with time and use. Loss of battery capacity varies with product configuration and usage, including but not limited to product model, applications running, power management settings, and product features. The battery warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship that result in failure; it does not cover natural deterioration of battery capacity. To determine if a battery has had a warranted failure, you may need to run additional diagnostics.

To get the latest version of the HP Battery Check, download and install HP Support Assistant

Remember that each time a battery is discharged and recharged, its useful life is shortened. To maximize battery life, charge it fully, and then remove it from the notebook while using AC power. Only use the battery when AC power is not available, and store the battery in a cool, dry place between uses - For FAQ's click here

Calibrating the Notebook Battery

Re-install the battery drivers

If the issue persists, you will need to either contact HP phone support by clicking here.

Or using this link to know about Purchasing a Replacement Battery

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.

If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.

Both icons are below this post.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 3 of 10 (1,008 Views)

I am having the same exact problem of the battery and also tried what you tried. I have just sent in to HP service centre to check the problem as well.
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 10 (994 Views)

Hi @Alvinfzr,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums Smiley Happy

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that the laptop battery is discharging while it's in a shutdown state and you have followed all the steps suggested and have sent in the PC for repair.

That's a good idea where all the components would be tested and which ever part is bad they would go ahead and replace it. 

If you need any assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again. Take care!

Thanks & Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Tutor
Message 5 of 10 (989 Views)

Hi there
I am planning to buy the new Spectre (i7). Is the aforementioned issue generic? I've read about it a lot. Could we have an official statement from HP?

Thank you
Honor Student
Message 6 of 10 (974 Views)

Ydan13 had already exchanged his laptop but is still facing the same issue. I guess it must be either a hardware or software issue on all your sets. Please solve it. Else I would also go for a refund. I had high hopes for my first HP laptop.
HP Support Agent
Message 7 of 10 (966 Views)

@fluj, @ Alvinfzr,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

Thanks and Regards

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 8 of 10 (932 Views)

Someone in this forum obtained a solution for the late 2016 kaby lake spectre x360. 

HP, please get your all technical guys to look into the solution by another of your tech guys and see how the battery drain after shut down was resolved. 

Please look at "message 79" posted by Senchronize at this page --> https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Battery-drain-when-shut-down-H...

Please share the solution with my current technician who is looking into my laptop now as well. Thanks.

Intern
Message 9 of 10 (893 Views)

i'm on my second spectre x360 from best buy, 13-w013dx.  Both have this issue.  It is no coincidence, and it is a problem that HP needs to address.  I will post everywhere I can to report this issue.  I don't know if they are covering things up or simply a poorly-run organization, but consumers need to be wary.  I have already spoken to a case manager and he is not aware of this issue.  Others like me have told them to just look in the forum and see all of the reported cases but we are getting the run-around with not much help or support.

Tutor
Message 10 of 10 (791 Views)

Re: Spectre x360 Battery Drainage after Shut Down; Sphinx Instructions?

Sphinx Instructions?

Which .EXE file do I click on in the "Sphinx Directory", is it "flash_Rev9_TI14_B8_Sign.exe"?

What do I do with "PDFwflash_X32_v01.exe" in the "PD FW Ver check" Directory?

Thanks in advance 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation