Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hi how do I get in touch with the correct team at HP UK as this has happened to my sons laptop that is just under 2 years old. Strong burning smell, removing the rear cover revealed the familiar capacitor issue burning through the label.
HP Recommended

Hi Ian,

I had the same problem as your son and I vented my anger on this board. I raised the issue and I was contacted by a member of hp support team who arranged for HP to collect my laptop and repair it free of charge (as I would have expected) even though my laptop was out of warranty by a couple of months. All I would say is, like others who have had this exact issue, be persistent with HP and demand a repair, hopefully one of the moderators will arrange for someone to contact you. Although I was incredibly annoyed that a laptop I had bought only 14 months ago for a considerable amount of money could break so quickly, I was very impressed by HP support and their desire to correct the problem. Don't loose faith. 👍🏻

HP Recommended

If you are not contacted by hp support on this forum,

try to find posts about the same problem on this forum (should be easy as there are so many of them), and look for any reply from an hp representative under it (better if it's more recent), then send him/her a direct message about your situation and ask for help.

HP Recommended
Will do, thanks.
HP Recommended
HP support, please escalate my case. Also, the company should discuss a recall and get out in front of the problem plaguing spectres, there's no reason to believe this defect was fixed for the 2016s or 2017s as the problem seems to be becoming rampant this year. Feigning ignorance to a problem is the sign of a fading company and I don't believe HP sees themselves as fading, so not sure why they don't attempt to fix this problem before it is even worse or more rampant.
HP Recommended

I have finally got my laptop fixed for free.

The whole story, probaly it will help somebody.

My laptop has burned at the same place as on other pictures.

Firstly, I thougth that it could be issue power cord. I did not find screwdriver to open laptop and came to repairs shop to fix it. I payed $70 for diagnostics (not refundable).

On the next day I knew that there was an issue with burned chip on motherboard and new motherboard cost AUD $1250. Actually it cost like new laptop. I took my laptop from them and contacted with HP by chat.

The guy filled in forms with information from me. This time I said that HP fix it for free. I sent a burned picture of motherboard as well. I expected then they would contact to me and proposed to fix it for free. But they called me and sent me email with a price of AUD $145 to pick my laptop and see what the problem was.

Then I wrote them email, said that it was known issue and asked them to fix it for free. Then HP support guy called me and I explained what I had wanted again. I said that I wanted official HP reply for further actions in case HP did not want to fix it for free. The guy said that he needed to speak with his mananger. Then I had a call back and guy said that HP would fix it for free.

Finally, I have got my laptop fixed.

Actually, I understand what HP is doing. There is a defect, but not all laptops have burned. Not all people with burned laptops ask HP to fix it for free. Not all people who wants HP to fix it for free insist and know what they can do.

HP Recommended

I would encourage people to do the same thing as the poster just before me, as I'm in the process of this myself and while the outcome isn't clear yet, the only way to find out is to be persistent and cooperate when contacted. I certainly did not take out any frustrations on those who have contacted me, as they are not setting any company policy,..only working within the parameters given them. We all know that ourselves. I believe they are trying to sort it out on a case by case basis, so being specific, able to send photos, documents and respond to calls/emails with the information they need is the only way to start the process. I did complain enough to get some attention, so I hope everyone who has this issue will be as patient and persistent as possible and get some results. I cant say what the outcome of my contact is yet, although HP has responded above the first level support and working on it.

HP Recommended
I got my case escalated for my motherboard being fried and was contacted today, unfortunately they still want over $500 to fix it, thanks HP for wasting another week of my time and not helping resolve the problem in any way. I ordered a very cool Dell laptop for less than the repair cost as I will never give another cent to a company that scammed me. The HP Spectre has a defective motherboard, they won't let me inform their customers by posting it on their Instagram. I am also filling with the BBB as this is an unacceptable business practice and suggest that everyone, even the few lucky customers that got their units fixed for free, still make note of their problem as they are trying to pretend like this issue isn't rampant and doesn't require a recall or public statement when it definitely requires the attention of HP
HP Recommended

Same here, they escalated the case but they still want $425 to fix it. (that is already including a 40% discount) This is a defect, bad design.

HP Recommended
They've deleted every Instagram comment I've made, just giving information with no vulgarity. And now I can't find the forum post I made here, I don't know if I posted wrong or they're trying to limit the amount of people posting about the same topic since they don't plan to take any action. Like Julian said, the Spectres, right now it appears (hopefully) just the 2015 models, have a defective motherboard and now HP is trying to push the cost of a bad design on to the consumers. How this is acceptable to a multi-billion dollar company baffles me
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.