Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 5 (1,255 Views)

Spectre x360 fan issues

Product Name: Spectre x360 15"
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought the HP Spectre x360 15" several months ago.  I never heard the fan come on even once until a few weeks ago.  I have done some updates from the HP site that were specific for my model Spectre.  There were so many that I couldn't even begin to guess which one did it, if any.  The fan comes on randomly, not dependent on what I have open from what I can tell.  I have it elevated on a rise with plenty of air flow underneath and have it plugged into the power cord when using.  

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 5 (1,227 Views)

Re: Spectre x360 fan issues

Hello @casherman,

Welcome back to the HP Forums!

I understand that the fan is not working properly in your HP Spectre 15 Notebook. The new sound could be from dust build up in the fan area, even when elevated notebooks require the vents to be cleaned.

Please go through these documents about the fan and computer performance to resolve the issue:

HP Notebook PCs - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal

HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating

HP PCs - Increasing System Performance and Maintaining Your Computer (Windows 10)

If the issue persists even after the steps in these documents have been completed, try restoring the BIOS:

HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS

Make sure to let me and the community know the results!

If the documents have helped you, click the thumbs up!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Message 3 of 5 (1,225 Views)

I cannot imagine the fan being dusty as the laptop is only a couple months old.  Plus, that would be a huge coincidence that it was silent all the way up until I did the updates.  There has now been a second BIOS update since the first and the fan still goes, so I don't think it's the BIOS, either.  Any other ideas?

Retired
Message 4 of 5 (1,223 Views)

Hello @casherman,

It is recommend to clean the vents on a computer every month to a couple of months depending on the conditions. It isn't likely the BIOS but it is possible and an important part of the troubleshooting steps.

If the documents from my previous post do not help you resolve the issue, try contacting HP Support.

Contact HP Worldwide

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Message 5 of 5 (905 Views)

Hello,

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I'm probably too late to help, but figured I'd paste my comment from another thread...

This drove me crazy and I almost took my new Spectre back to the store. But then, after lots of google searching, I found an explanation. Your constant fan spinning may simply be due to how you're holding your device. It's about the design configuration -- the way the vent is positioned.

Because the Spectre requires air intake through the bottom, you need to keep it on a flat surface (there's enough angle to let air pass through). For the first few says, I had mine resting on my lap (and on a blanket, no less) and this was totally suffocating the ventilation system. The fan was spinning non-stop. As soon as I went to my desk, the fan-spinning stopped and NEVER came back. I sat there for close to two hours and it never came on once. Again, last night, I turned my laptop back on and messed around on it for a good two hours -- fan never came on. If you flip it around to use as a tablet, this is ok too -- the vent gets plenty of air passage.

It baffles me that no HP experts are able to explain this simple yet critically relevant detail. Not to diss the tech people, but geez, if we can't find the answers here, what's the point? Why should third-party blogs be more helpful than your own support platform?

Anyway, here's an excerpt from the article as well as a link...

"[T]he heat generated by the Core i7 processor is not a major issue, but here’s the deal with the Spectre: it has to be kept ventilated through the bottom, where the intakes bring in air, so that the positive pressure cooling system can do its job. That means using it on tables, avoid laying it flat on a bed and probably always ensuring it’s always well-ventilated. That’s a chore, yet one that usually takes care of itself given that laptops are great on tables, but that just isn’t the usual scenario in the real world."

https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/22/review-hps-spectre-shows-a-great-ultrabook-can-suffer-from-being-t...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation