Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 X9X79EA#UUW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Recently my 13-inch Spectre x360 has got quite hot even when just having one tab open on Google Chrome. The fan is quite noticeable and battery drains much faster. However, I haven't noticed any big processes using task manager, at all times CPU is on 10-30% use.

I repeat, this started happening only recently, maybe 3 days ago. Before that it started getting hot on heavier use or if I used it on my lap, but not this easily.

Could this be solved by simply cleaning vents (if so, could someone explain how to?), by software update or something else?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @J4CK4L,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I reviewed the post regarding the computer overheating. I will be glad to assist you here.

To assist you with clarity, I would require more information regarding this.

• Did this happen after a power outage or surge?
  • Does the computer freeze lockup or shutdown?
  • Did you perform a bios update on the machine?
  • Does the fan spin at all or if it does is it loud and noisy?

For now, please perform all the prescribed steps from this link for overheating issues.

Also please take appropriate measures to reduce heat inside the computer from this link that helps to reduce heat.

Please update the bios and chipset drivers from this link after selecting the correct operating system.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshootingsteps.

Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Please respond to this post with the results of the troubleshooting for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @J4CK4L,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I reviewed the post regarding the computer overheating. I will be glad to assist you here.

To assist you with clarity, I would require more information regarding this.

• Did this happen after a power outage or surge?
  • Does the computer freeze lockup or shutdown?
  • Did you perform a bios update on the machine?
  • Does the fan spin at all or if it does is it loud and noisy?

For now, please perform all the prescribed steps from this link for overheating issues.

Also please take appropriate measures to reduce heat inside the computer from this link that helps to reduce heat.

Please update the bios and chipset drivers from this link after selecting the correct operating system.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshootingsteps.

Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Please respond to this post with the results of the troubleshooting for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response, Jeet.

I think the problem might have been solved, because the fan has been quiet for a while now and the laptop hasn't heated up anymore, even when using the machine on my lap.

To answer your questions, I don't think it started happening after anything special. One day I put the laptop to sleep and the next day I opened it and noticed the heating issue. It didn't affect performance, at least not noticeably.

What I did (and what might have solved the problem) was to install all the updates the HP Support Assistant application recommended. I installed maybe 9 updates. No idea if that's the reason, but the computer is now back to normal:smileyhappy:.

J4CK4L

HP Recommended

Hi @J4CK4L,

I am glad that the issue has been resolved. As @Jeet_singh is out of office, I am responding on his behalf.

Please feel free to contact us for any issues and we are always there to assist you.

Thanks and have a great day ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.