Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SarahP91
Level 1
2 1 0 5
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 motherboard failure - again...

HP Spectre x360 2in1 13334
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Before starting graduate school in August 2015, I decided I was done with the few mediocre laptops I had during undergrad and saved up all summer to buy a $1100 Spectre 360x with the Core i7 processor. Approximately 6 months later in January 2016, my laptop abruptly failed to turn on with zero warning signs. I called HP technical support and, because I was under warranty at the time, I was able to send my laptop in to get fixed free of charge with no problems (minus the 2 weeks I had to go without a working laptop while being a full time graduate engineering student). Once I got the laptop back, everything worked fine and I was only told that their was a "problem with motherboard" and no further information about the defect. 

I wish I could say that this was the end of my problems, but this week (now a little less than a year and a half after initally purchasing the laptop), the same problem has occured AGAIN. With no warning signs at all, the laptop fails to turn on. To make things even worse, this happened to happen during one of the worst weeks it could have - I was in such a bind that I had to pay $150 for geek squad to scrape my harddrive for a number of documents I needed that afternoon and then another $170 for a cheap Lenovo laptop at a local Best Buy so I could finish the work that I had to be completed that evening.

After the debacle, I called HP tech support, only to find out that I would have to pay $715 to get the laptop sent to HP tech support to get fixed! The tech support gave me no other options and honestly had no empathy for the position I was in. I was stunned. That is close to 70% of the original laptop price! My current financial situation makes it impossible to pay that kind of money (especially after the money I had to throw out to save the data on my hard drive and buy the cheap laptop). I understand that I am no longer under warranty, but this laptop is not even a year and a half old. After spending $1100 on a machine you would think it could at least squeak out 3 years minimum. If I can't get this issue resolved and have proof that it won't continue to happen, I will be leaving HP as a loyal customer (both of my previous PCs were HP).

I've read the forums and have seen that a number of people have had this problem occur to them as well, but has anyone had it happen twice? If so, did anybody figure out a way to fix the laptop themselves in a more economical fashion? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 829 1,454
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@SarahP91

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

jmg104
Level 1
8 3 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had this EXACT SAME ISSUE and just spend over 2 hours on the phone with them last night trying to get this resolved. To say I'm frustrated and disappointed in the "resolution" is an understatement. Worse yet, they do not care.

I bought my computer back in 2015. In March/April of 2016 my computer stopped turning on once the laptop would go to sleep or was shut down. After troubleshooting with their support, we finally determined it needed to be sent in for repair. They had to completely wipe my computer, and then had determined it was a motherboard failure...something about alignment. Fortunately at the time it was fully covered and I didn't have to eat the costs.

Well, here we are in 2017, and it's happening again. The Motherboard is failing and I called in for help. They told me it is out of warranty and that it would cost me about $750 to repair it.

If i had dropped the computer, downloaded a virus, put wear and tear on it, or did something that caused this, I'd accept that I need to pay. BUT. This is CLEARLY an issue on HP's end that they are failing to address. I've seen that they've had class action lawsuits in the past on different computers and wouldn't doubt this ends up being one soon enough. 

To tell a customer that their faulty computer design is MY responsiblity that I have to pay for is absurd. You designed a lemon product. It does not work. It breaks every year, and they must think we're some suckers to shell out that much money every year this thing fails. 

I am so disappointed in their product. They said a case manager would contact me to review my complaint, but they're laughing the whole way to the bank. I will tell everyone who will listen to never ever buy an HP. They design computers to last long enough to get you out of warranty, and then when it inevitably fails, they brush off their disappointed customers and ask for more money.

Stand behind your products HP. Support your paying customers, don't drive them away and insult them. If you made a fauly computer, own up to it and help your customers out. 

0 Kudos
19,194 14,529 300 1,137
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jmg104

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jmg104
Level 1
8 3 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A case manager has reached out to me and I'll post what comes of that here!

0 Kudos
icjefferys
5 3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What ended up happening with your case?  I'm having the similar trouble with my Spectre.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation