Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 noise

Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I just  bought myself a Spectre x360 (13 inch, 8gb ram, 256 gb ssd, i5- 7200) a few days ago. Now the problem is that it makes an annoying electric like buzzing noise all the time. Watching a youtube video, scrolling a website or moving the mouse over any website, app or anything like that triggers it really.  From the research I did I believe it's coil whine. I found a few other with similar problems. For example:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Spectre-x360-Noise/td-p/5107394

Found this solution but it can't be applied anymore since we can't acces the cpu c4 function in the BIOS 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00965412

This noise is what I am talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIrkcDZn1G8

Anyhow, is this annyoing noise a case for every HP notebook, every x360? Or just a few?

This noise is a real pain in quiet environments and is not related to the fan or audio speakers as HP support "assumes". It is gone when disabling the CPU power states. Replacing the laptop, and replacing the mainboard of the second laptop did not make a difference. It is obviously a hardware ...
9 REPLIES 9
Teacher
Teacher
62 60 6 14
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 noise

I also have the coil whine on my Envy x360 Kaby Lake system.  I used a reg hack to disable the lower power states.  Visit this page - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/975530/stop-error-message-on-a-windows-server-2008-r2-based...  Ignore the hotfix.  Scroll down to the bottom to that work around section and perform that reg hack.  Coil whine gone on my system.  But battery life has dropped like a hour with low power states disabled.  But 4-5 hours of battery life is more than enough still.  Should you want to just try the reg hack, you can restore lower power states by deleting that registry key.

0 Kudos
David1997 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 noise

I am afraid it said I didn't have permission to use that command... It truly sucks, I find it quite hard to work with it in quiet places.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
62 60 6 14
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 noise

When you open up the command prompt, right click on it and choose the run as administrator option.  Then you'll be able to perform that registry update.

0 Kudos
David1997 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 noise

Oh alright thanks, will try that when I get home and I'll let you know if it worked!

0 Kudos
David1997 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 noise

I got it to work but it did not solve the problem for me, it still remains. The only solution to the noise I've found so far is disabling the intel hd graphics, but that isn't really a suitable solution. And the HP support isn't of much help I've have to admit. Still even though it didn't solve my problem thank you for time!

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
62 60 6 14
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 noise

Was worth a try.  Unfortunately the original topic that I found this link, it worked for some Spectre and Envy x360 users but not all.

0 Kudos
bhadrakalpa Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 noise

i had the same issus with 2 of them. only stop by disable intel HD card. I'm going to return it tommorow... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
David1997 Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 noise

Yeah that is the only thing that fixes it for me as well. Might try to push for a return then, it's a shame though, it's a good computer beside that one flaw. Are you getting a new one or just returning it for good? 

0 Kudos
bhadrakalpa Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 noise

Done with spectre. Got refund. Gonna wait for yoga 720

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation