Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'd posted a message, "Another "HP Spectre 13t-4000 x360 will not turn on" post" and gotten the typical "Call Support" result only to then find out the repair cost would be 67% of what I originally paid for a top of the line laptop I bought directly from HP. As I've looked further into the forums, I'm obviously not alone. We all have the same burned part under the label next to the SSD.

I then added this reply to my original message and tried to add it as a reply to the messages listed below. It seems that my replies show up but are then deleted. Maybe it's an automated action by the forum software or maybe HP would prefer not listing these in one place. In any case, I'll post a new message with theis list.

In case it is useful to anyone, here is a partial cross-reference to similar posts. I used the search "spectre x360 power motherboard" and got 8 pages of results (at least 60 individual posts). A search of "spectre x360 burn motherboard" gives 100 threads. Does anyone see a pattern:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Kevin, I'll be marking your reply as a Solution Accepted. I was contacted by an HP representative via private message and we were able to resolve the issue I was having. It's unfortunate that it took as much time as it did to resolve but I appreciate the follow-up by you and the HP team.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

@RichCNJ

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message after the weekend from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details)

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Kevin, I'll be marking your reply as a Solution Accepted. I was contacted by an HP representative via private message and we were able to resolve the issue I was having. It's unfortunate that it took as much time as it did to resolve but I appreciate the follow-up by you and the HP team.

HP Recommended

Mine has the same issue.  Very expensive laptop - I have had far "cheaper" laptops in the past - that 10 years later still boot up!  I was able to get 1 1/2 years use of this HP spectre 360 13 4003 dx.  Over $1300.00 spent.  I will never buy HP products again, no  - as you can clearly see this is a major flaw in this model with Motherboard burn ups! They no longer stand behind their products as they had in the past (since the late 90's I have bought many HP products).  It has been a long run with you HP...but it must end here.

HP Recommended

@Kristy101

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Here is a nice photo of my motherboard.  Classic issue - it fried.  Isn't this a bit dangerous?  People's homes could catch fire!  I am shocked, totally shocked that HP has not recalled these motherboards after all the people with this same issue.  Mine only worked for about 1 1/2 years until this happened to it...and, it is not my primary PC.  This was only used to travel the 3 times per year I travel, so essentially this laptop for over $1,300.00 was used around 8 times before the motherboard went up in smoke 😞  Thanks for your response danny-r

up in smoke 😞  360_13_4003dx.png

HP Recommended

Kristy,

It looks like HP will be following up with you. As I wrote when I accepted Kevin's resolution, HP did follow-through and the problem was resolved. I agree it was frustrating to have to go through this to resolve the problem but, in the end, HP did stand behind the product even when it was out of warranty. 

There have been amany reports of the exact problem we both encountered (as shown in the pictures). However, given the number of Spectre x360s HP has sold, I have to believe it is a small fraction of the machines. Maybe there is an issue that triggers the problem. So far, my laptop has been working fine since it was repaired.

Finally, I did back up the SSD drive before I sent the machine in because they said the drive would be reimaged. I purchased an M.2 NGFF SSD to 2.5in SATA Adapter and installed the SSD in a desktop for the backup. In the end, the drive wasn't modified but better safe than sorry.

Good luck!

HP Recommended
Gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed in HP. My spectre x360 should have lasted WAY longer than 2.5 years especially given the premium price. As others have noted my motherboard also has failed. While I was working on some work, poof, smoke coming from the vent. Hasn't turned on since...
HP Recommended

No - days later I have not received a call or email...other than Dan-r response here in the forum 😞

HP Recommended
I started a new thread with the same statement and got a response. Worth a shot.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.