5 0 2
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 touchpad

Spectre x360 13-4040nd
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

hi,

i recently bought HP Spectre x360 with highest specs an. d i'm facing some real serious issues with the touchpad / clickpad. as many others in this forum and reviewers pointed out, the clicks are not being recognized. In my case, I'd say it is around 50% of the clicks don't get registered and I have to click again to make it work. That is really frustrating and enough to make me come here and post this question. I really like the laptop and this is exactly what I've been looking for but this clickpad is a real deal breaker. I followed some suggestions on this forum and also tried some troubleshooting myself (since i myself is a support engineer) but to no avail. I changed the synaptics settings to try and remove too much intelligence from the touchpad and at least get the basic functionality right, but i continue to miss the clicks. I also tried replacing the driver with synaptic one but the problem continues, which tells me that it is something related to the hardware piece than the software / driver. can someone here please help me with this? if i hadn't liked the laptop, i wouldn't bother posting here to try and find a solution, i'd simply get rid of it and go with lenovo yoga 3 pro or something else. but this laptop has really high build quality and classy looks, but probably killed by this $25 buggy piece of hardware.

12 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
16542 952 2192
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 touchpad

Hello @malikons ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read about your HP Spectre x360 13-4040nd Notebook and TouchPad not working correctly. Here is a document on how to troubleshoot the mouse and TouchPad sensitivities.

If you will go to the section on Adjusting TouchPad pointing sensitivities it should help resolve the issue.

If this does not help, what you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Hope this fixes your issue.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
malikons Top Student
Top Student
5 0 2
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 touchpad

thanks for your response. I've been playding with different touchpad settings, including sensitivity settings for past 6 days but it hasn't changed much for me. I continue to have missed left clicks. I am not sure if the problem is also the same for right clicks because i do right click by double finger tap on the touchpad rather than clicking the right corner of the touchpad (coming from mac world). i think i'll go down logging the case path and see if i can get some assistance. thanks for the instructions. i'll update this thread if i get any meaningful information.

cheers

0 Kudos
CyFi6 Tutor
Tutor
7 0 2
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 touchpad

I have found myself facing the same issue. When using the physical touchpad clicking mechanism, 30% of clicks go unrecognized and require me to click again. I confirmed this by using an online "click checker" and noticed that when repeatedly clicking, clicks would randomly not register. 

I can confirm that this is a driver issue, and not a hardware issue. I have been unable to find any Windows 10 compatible drivers that do not experience this problem. I have since downgraded to Windows 8.1 and am using windows 8.1 synaptics drivers, and the issue is completely gone. Every click gets registered. This is the only reason I had to downgrade to 8.1, but I cannot stand having to re-click all the time. I will wait until Windows 10 drivers improve. 

himenohogosha Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 touchpad

Cyfi6,

You had the problem on Windows 10, but not on 8.1? I'm having the problem on 8.1, and was wondering if upgrading to 10 would give a better experience. Sounds like maybe the answer is no. What drivers are you using with 8.1? Just the latest drivers on HP support site? 

0 Kudos
CyFi6 Tutor
Tutor
7 0 2
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 touchpad

That is strange, because I have tested this on two completely separate x360's. Both experiences random clicks not being registered on Win 10 using any driver I tried. As soon as I downgraded them to Win 8.1, the problem went away, and didnt matter which driver I used.

Here'w what you can do to test this. Perhaps it is a hardware issue in your case (though I doubt it).

First, go here: http://cookie.riimu.net/speed/ and click repeatedly. If you notice that clicks will randomly not register, you are facing the same issue as me. For me it was about 1 in every 5 clicks wouldnt register, especially when double clicking.

Next, go to your touchpad driver in device manager and uninstall the driver, check the box to remove all previously installed drivers if given the option. Restart the PC and go back to device manager, making sure that the generic ps/2 driver is installed. This is the most basic driver required to allow the touchpad to work though multi touch gestures etc will not work. Generally for this driver, you have to click in the lower left corner of the touchpad to get it to register a click. Redo the test at the click checking website and see if you are getting all of your clicks registered this time. If you are, you can be sure that this is a driver issue. When I did this, all my clicks started registering. 

This is the driver I am using that works fine for me. It is what installed automatically using the update driver option. 

Win 8.1 Touchpad Driver.jpg

jvall Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 touchpad

We bought a new Spectre x360 13" laptop a week ago.   We hated the "tablet-based interface" tha HP used and so did a clean install of Win 10 Pro.  We immediately noticed that the touchpad taps were not being recognized all the time (~85% success.)  No amount of adjusting would work.  Removing the Synaptics driver solved the problem, but of course, we lost functionality.  Following CyFi6's suggestion, I found a driver (for a Toshiba laptop) that contained the 18.1.30.16 version.  That seems to work just fine.  Thanks for posting that info!

Then I had to fight with Windows to prevent the immediate reinstallation of the driver.  Fortunately, Microsoft has a utility that will do this: (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab)

I find it hard to believe that HP would allow this poor driver to be released, especially since it is one of the first things you would notice when trying to use it.  Don't they try it out first?  In any case, is there going to be a new driver released soon that will fix this annoying issue?  The current version of 19.0.12.98 is useless.  We were about ready to return the laptop over this issue.

0 Kudos
360_Owner Top Student
Top Student
3 0 2
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 touchpad

I hope this post is at least helpful in getting HP to sort out these trackpad issues. I have a longterm technical background in hardware and support. I recently purchased one of the higher spec Spectre Pro 360 G2 systems. At first, I had no issues. (Win 10 Pro 64) then started getting more and more problematic tracpad operation. Missed clicks, extra clicks, lack of cursor motion, jumpy / erratic movment.  Finally, having been through all the standard HP scripted checks (BIOS, Chipset and Synaptic drivers) with no improvement, I returned the system to HP Service. Their tech's in Poland reported that they replaced something ('electronics board and plastic parts'), but on its return, after a short troublefree period, the issues were back same as before (may be slightly less so).

The fault was solid and easy to replicate. An external trackpad, mouse and stylus have always worked fine, while the onboard trackpad has not.

This morning, without any change that I was aware of, the trackpad started working fine. 3 hours of bliss! Not one skip or jump or miss-click. Then I put the system back on the AC adapter, and immediately the trackpad became its old self.

So if you have trackpad issues, see if it makes any difference if you run on AC or battery. I doubt it is a voltage or electrical noise issue. Far more likely is that the driver is not happy with something that changes when the system is on AC power. It is quite likely that powersaving for battery opperation slows down some of the system components so there is less system activity and more time for the trackpad data to be serviced. The fact that external USB connected mice and trackpads do not have the issue really points to something that could be fixed at a driver level, but it may be that there is some hardware interrupt or physical design issue that causes the problem when the CPU / system is running in full-speed AC connected mode.

I am going to see if I can set AC mode to run the system in power saving pode and see how the trackpad behaves.

360_Owner Top Student
Top Student
3 0 2
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 touchpad

Update:

I went through every imaginable option trying to resolve glitchy cursor movement and poor click response on my Spectre 360 Pro G2. The system went in to HP for repair and came back with the same fault. By chance I eventually noticed that on battery power, the fault went away.

To my complete disbelief, the fault was fixed by replacing the power supply. I still find it hard to accept, but it was absolutely certain that swapping the PSU fixed the trackpad problems.

So if you have issues with the trackpad not tracking smoothly, random glitches in movement, unresponsiveness etc, try running on battery power and see if the issue persists. If like me, all is good on battery power, it could be worth replacing the PSU. The standard PSU is 45 watt, and the replacement HP sent is the same (19.5v, 45w). The HP part number on the working replacement is: 741727-001 and the part they sent me had a date code of 1608.

PAULHALF Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 touchpad

OK, so I've had the same issue for a long time and it is undermining my long term Stoic practice(!)

But yes, when I unplug it, it does seem to work...... but its done this to me before..... so I'll now monitor if its only a problem when plugged in - and if it is....

I OWE YOU A BIG DRINK!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation